Chicken can't stand or walk, paralyzed??

Pics
Many of us have put enormous time and effort into the care of a bird at one time or another (or many times). The more invested you are, the harder it is to lose them. I've cried many a tear. I've spent more hours, days, weeks, months than I can count treating a particular rooster with severe bumblefoot, that guy has part of my heart. I will be beyond sad the day I eventually lose him, he's just turned 8 years old.
You can love them the same as you can love any other animal.
Your vet was awesome, I wish I had one as kind and compassionate about my birds.
I'm attaching a link below to a submission form for PCR testing (live bird) via mail for Marek's from a Texas lab, contact information is on the form if you want to speak to them and get particulars. Maybe your state has something similar.
As for when it's time to say good-bye, that is so much up to you. If you think she's happy, comfortable, and has some quality of life, then there is no rush. Having lost a fair number to various cancers, I can say that no two birds do exactly alike. Some last for quite some time and have decent quality of life for a while, some pass quickly or progress to obvious suffering and there is no doubt. Some of them are just troopers and so stoic, so it can be hard to know exactly how they are feeling in reality. I've had some that seemed to be doing alright, passed suddenly, and when the necropsy was done it was hard to believe they had lasted as long as they had once I saw inside. They are so good at hiding illness, it makes it very hard to know. I do think you will know when she's had enough though.
When the decision is difficult and painful I always ask myself if my reluctance is about me and my feelings, or for the bird. That question usually answers which way I should go. For mine with cancer, once they lose muscle mass and get weak, I've not had one bounce back. The weight loss also causes metabolic issues that can impact organ function. It's concerning that she won't eat on her own, but that she is still digesting is encouraging, mine always stop digesting at some point, the crop backs up. At that point it's just a matter of time, usually short. For therapy, a modified sling that you can hold her up with or hold like a marionette puppet, or that will hold her stationary on a kind of stand, can help give her some time outside on the grass for periods. She can use, or try to use her legs, and then rest when needed. Even if it doesn't bring much improvement to her movements, she may enjoy it and give her a little quality of life. People have made wheelchair type things out of pvc pipe for not a huge outlay of $$, do a search. I will attach a diagram of a sling made from pvc below.
:hugs
https://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf
View attachment 3399549
View attachment 3399550
Thank you for sharing your experiences with me, and the link to the lab, as well as the diagram and photo. ❤️

Many of us have put enormous time and effort into the care of a bird at one time or another (or many times). The more invested you are, the harder it is to lose them. I've cried many a tear. I've spent more hours, days, weeks, months than I can count treating a particular rooster with severe bumblefoot, that guy has part of my heart. I will be beyond sad the day I eventually lose him, he's just turned 8 years old.
You can love them the same as you can love any other animal.
Your vet was awesome, I wish I had one as kind and compassionate about my birds.
I'm attaching a link below to a submission form for PCR testing (live bird) via mail for Marek's from a Texas lab, contact information is on the form if you want to speak to them and get particulars. Maybe your state has something similar.
As for when it's time to say good-bye, that is so much up to you. If you think she's happy, comfortable, and has some quality of life, then there is no rush. Having lost a fair number to various cancers, I can say that no two birds do exactly alike. Some last for quite some time and have decent quality of life for a while, some pass quickly or progress to obvious suffering and there is no doubt. Some of them are just troopers and so stoic, so it can be hard to know exactly how they are feeling in reality. I've had some that seemed to be doing alright, passed suddenly, and when the necropsy was done it was hard to believe they had lasted as long as they had once I saw inside. They are so good at hiding illness, it makes it very hard to know. I do think you will know when she's had enough though.
When the decision is difficult and painful I always ask myself if my reluctance is about me and my feelings, or for the bird. That question usually answers which way I should go. For mine with cancer, once they lose muscle mass and get weak, I've not had one bounce back. The weight loss also causes metabolic issues that can impact organ function. It's concerning that she won't eat on her own, but that she is still digesting is encouraging, mine always stop digesting at some point, the crop backs up. At that point it's just a matter of time, usually short. For therapy, a modified sling that you can hold her up with or hold like a marionette puppet, or that will hold her stationary on a kind of stand, can help give her some time outside on the grass for periods. She can use, or try to use her legs, and then rest when needed. Even if it doesn't bring much improvement to her movements, she may enjoy it and give her a little quality of life. People have made wheelchair type things out of pvc pipe for not a huge outlay of $$, do a search. I will attach a diagram of a sling made from pvc below.
https://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf
View attachment 3399549
View attachment 3399550
I just ordered one of these. Pricey, but I didn't want to make it right now because I have too many projects going on - haha! But this is exactly what I want to keep her feeling somewhat normal and keep her out of her poop. She's not a fan of baths.

I'm sorry to hear about Ethel.

You have done a wonderful job taking care of her and given her your heart.
Thank you for sharing the vet visit with us. Your vet presented his opinion/diagnostics with knowledge and kindness.
Only you can make the decision of how to proceed, so give yourself time to mull over what he's said and go from there.

With all the wonderful information everyone has shared, we are going to continue what we are doing. We are also going to work on an enclosure so we can let her enjoy some time outside in her chair during the days when the sun is shining and it's not too cold. We will watch her closely for signs of decline and when that day comes, hopefully later than sooner, we will thank her for her love and all that she has helped us to learn, and help her to go peacefully. My heart will break, but I'll know we have done all we could and know that she had more love in the time she's been with us than she did being just a farm chick.

With all the wonderful information everyone has shared, we are going to continue what we are doing. We are also going to work on an enclosure so we can let her enjoy some time outside in her chair during the days when the sun is shining and it's not too cold. We will watch her closely for signs of decline and when that day comes, hopefully later than sooner, we will thank her for her love and all that she has helped us to learn, and help her to go peacefully. My heart will break, but I'll know we have done all we could and know that she had more love in the time she's been with us than she did being just a farm chick.
Keep us posted on Ethel.

❤️ Just know that Ethel knows and feels the love you have given her over the past several weeks, and that is what makes the difference. I am glad that she gets to live her life with you and your husband. ❤️

I mean- I don't know who looks more content! :hugs

pxl_20230114_031845246-jpg.3376711

Last edited:
Oh and kudos to you for having this be your first foray into the world of chickens- I am so impressed that you dove right in to help out your mom and her animals. You are a very compassionate person and the world needs more people like you. I am glad that the vet acknowledged that as well and just know that I think it is very admirable!

Wyorp Rock said that you gave Ethel your heart, but I'd also venture to say that Ethel up and stole it. Despite the fact Ethel was nearly completely immobilized when you met her, in no way am I surprised that she quickly won you over anyway. Red sexlink hens (ISA Brown variety) were my very first chickens eight+ years ago, and they started a love affair with chickens that I expect will never end. Though their lives are sadly shorter than other breeds due to various reproductive issues, they live large and make the most of their days. Seriously they do. Red sexlinks are extra smart, inquisitive, friendly and fearless, and are always front and center amongst any action taking place. I have photos of them crowded around dead snakes, dead possums, etc. while other breeds cautiously stand back. (The red sexlinks aren't concerned because they know the thing is dead.) They are always nearest to my feet when I bring treats. They photobomb by placing themselves directly in front of the camera when I try and take pictures of their pretty flock members of other breeds. I have pictures of them taking dust baths very near me while I work in the garden, and by the way they look at me, I've felt certain they are imploring me to take a break and have a nice dust bath with them. I've also felt sure that when I go to lock them in at dusk, they strongly desire for me to stay and sleep in their coop overnight. On that note, the red sexlink hens are Always the last ones to go to roost. They will stand around the door until the last fading glimmer of light, and if I am near they sometimes literally wait until it's too dark to see their door. Bump, bump, bump, they walk into the coop sides until I pick them up and carry them inside. And I use the term "they" instead of "she" or "her" because they form their own flock within a flock. For example, in the photo below, 15 ISA Browns live in a flock totaling 78 hens of various other breeds. But besides the lone black hen standing back, who do you see playing their regular game of "Let's try to steal food from the dog bowl while the dog isn't looking"?
original_fd95b178-8111-4345-bd9d-c2d43d23ac9e_20210808_201337.jpg

Several times over the years I've bought quantities of red sexlinks as day-old chicks, and their personalities and behaviors are Always the same!😂

The above examples are some of the ways you missed knowing Ethel while she lived her first three years as a farm chicken. But Ethel is still That girl, and from your descriptions her spirit still shines. Yes she will love being outside in fresh air and sunshine on nice weather days. (Be sure her enclosure also has a fenced top to protect her from hawks.) Your local Petco should sell live meal worms. You can buy a small quantity to see if she will eat them. I'd bet money she will! Not a lot of money, but a little.😁 Also, though she snubbed a cooked egg yolk, she may eat a raw one. But if she doesn't want to eat on her own, I wouldn't fret over the issue and simply continue tube-feeding.
I don't know if there is such a thing as doing physical therapy on a chicken to try to rebuild her muscle, but if that's possible I'm more than willing to do whatever it takes.
My gut intuition says don't try physical therapy in hopes of rebuilding her muscle. The mass inside her is no doubt putting increased stress on her internal organs, and during Ethel's exam your vet mentioned that the mass may eventually cause her heart to give out. (If she passes away naturally, refrigerate but don't freeze her body until you can get her to your state lab for necropsy. Wanted to mention that in case you don't already know.)

You said in your very first post that you are an animal lover but never envisioned falling in love with a chicken until you began caring for Ethel. Yep, that happens to a lot of us. We get chickens to have fresh eggs, then Bam they lay claim on our hearts. When your vet told you that he believed Ethel has zero chance of recovery, that was simply another way of saying that her condition is terminal. But Ethel got to spend her first 3 years living the fun life of a farm chicken, and now for her remaining days she knows your superb care, devotion and love. By any measure I'd say that is a life lived well and full.

I told my mom last night, and Curt today, that I'd never get any chickens because they don't live long enough, but once Ethel is gone, I may change my mind, as she really has stole my heart. I'll have to look into the best place to get them. I know our local Feed stores sell the each spring as day old chicks l, and I'm sure there are locals that sell them also, but I will definitely make sure they have the proper vaccinations that they need since they will be our babies. I just hope they get along with goats as they'll live in the same yard as the goats, who are also our babies.
Ethel did get to spend a couple hours outside today (in a totally enclosed pen since we do have hawks). I think she really enjoyed being out there. And I'll definitely go get some live meal worms and see if she'll eat them. I'll also try a raw egg from one of the other hens. I was surprised to learn recently that chickens eat eggs, even raw. Has a few silkies and a frizzle that she keeps in a yard with her Great Pyrenees, separate from the other chickens, and they have been laying eggs on her front porch instead of in their nesting boxes. So this morning I found three eggs they had laid and dropped so they were cracked so I threw them out into the yard and they all rushed over and ate them which was quite shocking to me. But I'm learning a lot about chickens and I'm happy to be doing so.
Born on mother's Day last year so they are 9 months old and hubby still brings the twins and mama in the house to eat every morning and every night. He is as much of a compassionate sap as I am when it comes to animals of any kind.

Attachments

• 20220508_130712.jpg
    20220508_130712.jpg
    632.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220519_183753.jpg
    20220519_183753.jpg
    626.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220508_130827.jpg
    20220508_130827.jpg
    595.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220521_172149.jpg
    20220521_172149.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220508_133624.jpg
    20220508_133624.jpg
    691.9 KB · Views: 6
I told my mom last night, and Curt today, that I'd never get any chickens because they don't live long enough, but once Ethel is gone, I may change my mind, as she really has stole my heart. I'll have to look into the best place to get them. I know our local Feed stores sell the each spring as day old chicks l, and I'm sure there are locals that sell them also, but I will definitely make sure they have the proper vaccinations that they need since they will be our babies. I just hope they get along with goats as they'll live in the same yard as the goats, who are also our babies.
Ethel did get to spend a couple hours outside today (in a totally enclosed pen since we do have hawks). I think she really enjoyed being out there. And I'll definitely go get some live meal worms and see if she'll eat them. I'll also try a raw egg from one of the other hens. I was surprised to learn recently that chickens eat eggs, even raw. Has a few silkies and a frizzle that she keeps in a yard with her Great Pyrenees, separate from the other chickens, and they have been laying eggs on her front porch instead of in their nesting boxes. So this morning I found three eggs they had laid and dropped so they were cracked so I threw them out into the yard and they all rushed over and ate them which was quite shocking to me. But I'm learning a lot about chickens and I'm happy to be doing so.
Born on mother's Day last year so they are 9 months old and hubby still brings the twins and mama in the house to eat every morning and every night. He is as much of a compassionate sap as I am when it comes to animals of any kind.
Oh my goodness! What cuties!

Back
Top Bottom