Chicken can't stand or walk, paralyzed??

Pics
@Allsfairinloveandbugs
@azygous
@Wyorp Rock
@mrskenmore

So we cut the last lash egg open just now and this is what we found. It looks like the yoke of a hard boiled egg. So does that lean towards bacterial or viral or ?don't know? My husband said that this one that we cut open was harder than the first one and more formed than the first one.

Attachments

• PXL_20230410_141219169.jpg
    PXL_20230410_141219169.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 6
We give her vitamin E jell capsules every day still and they're huge but she gets them down no problem.
Also, do you give the 500mg cephalexin just once a day til a normal egg comes out, then stop it. If it takes several days for a normal egg to come out is that okay to keep giving it. I would probably do a 250mg a.m. and p.m. instead of 500mg all at once just because I can.

Let's be clear as to why you are going to treat her with cephalexin. It's an antibiotic to treat bacterial infection, and that is what salpingitis is. The antibiotic will not improve or affect egg quality or even help a hen lay an egg.

Salpingitis is a very stubborn reproductive infection that is sometimes helped by an antibiotic, but it's usually chronic and resists a cure. Sometimes, when the hen with salpingitis is young, an antibiotic may be able to curtail the infection. It's why an antibiotic is always worth trying.

If the hen isn't acting sick, 250mg would be enough.

So, I just went out and felt of her again before we put her outside for the day. And I'm somewhat hopeful that what she has in there this time is an egg because it does feel egg shaped. As far as being rounded and smooth, I don't feel anything lumpy like the two lash eggs she laid, and whatever's in. There is pretty hard. Hard. I've never felt an egg inside of chicken before obviously, but that's what it feels like to me. How long can a chicken hold that in there before it should come out?
@Allsfairinloveandbugs
@azygous
@mrskenmore
@Wyorp Rock

It very well could be an egg. Typically an egg is formed and laid within a 25 hour period. I would just let her do her thing and don't bother her much and see what happens. In other words, let her have a very fun chicken like day.. she will figure it out and you can tell once she has laid what state her egg is in (lash or normal)

@Allsfairinloveandbugs
@azygous
@Wyorp Rock
@mrskenmore

So we cut the last lash egg open just now and this is what we found. It looks like the yoke of a hard boiled egg. So does that lean towards bacterial or viral or ?don't know? My husband said that this one that we cut open was harder than the first one and more formed than the first one.
I just want to say one other thing about that picture of the lash egg with the yolk looking inside. The yoke was not in layers at all, it was pretty much the consistency and break down of a hard-boiled egg yolk so it was somewhat crumbly with no layers. I'm going to watch your closely today and hope that whatever is inside her comes out is a real egg.

It very well could be an egg. Typically an egg is formed and laid within a 25 hour period. I would just let her do her thing and don't bother her much and see what happens. In other words, let her have a very fun chicken like day.. she will figure it out and you can tell once she has laid what state her egg is in (lash or normal)
So the link below is a video that I took earlier today when I first put her out. It's a little graphic but we're all adults here. She's been doing that for a while today, not constantly but when I peek out the window and check on her I can see her moving her butt up and down sort of I guess like she's in labor maybe. But I will give her till bedtime tonight and if something hasn't come out should I go in with the glove?
Also, should I take her off her perch and put her on the ground where she can lay down better? I don't know if it would bother her to drop the egg that far, The log is only probably 5 in tall ,if she'd even care or if they are more careful about laying their eggs?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/r5Hbkf5sG4ZPxxbd9

Attachments

• PXL_20230410_170921685.jpg
    PXL_20230410_170921685.jpg
    766.3 KB · Views: 6
Okay so this is really freaky to me. I came across it looking for videos of chickens, laying eggs to see if maybe that's what she was getting ready to do. Obviously the video is not taken in one day but how the heck is this person hatching a baby like that?

Back
Top Bottom