Chicken can't stand or walk, paralyzed??

Pics
I'm worried sick about Ethel this morning. She's lost weight down to 4 lb. 4 oz and having trouble balancing herself on her wooden log which is the perch she always sits on. She's able to stand on the floor fine and she even took a few steps but I'm really worried. I have her in the house with me and I'm going to keep an eye on her all day. But this is just too soon if anything's actually happening.
I've added a picture below of whatever this area is called. It's still feels hard which I know could be a tumor up in there, but it's hot also. Not on fire but very warm to the hand. We stopped her cephalexin. I guess 2 days ago? Should we give her a warm Epsom salt bath? Should we start her back on the Cephalexin?
@Allsfairinloveandbugs
@Wyorp Rock
@mrskenmore
@azygous
@BastyPutt
She is still getting her Vitamin E, 2 x daily, her Vitamin B100 complex crushed 1 x daily, her Calcium citrate and her Vitamin D. She can stand, like I said, she took a few steps but she prefers to lay down. She drank a few sips of water this morning and she took a few bites of food but she doesn't seem to have a lot of interest in her crumble or mealworms this morning. I'm going to cut up a few fruits, a minimal amount and make her a scrambled egg and see if she will eat any of that. Everything has been going so well and I'm so not prepared for this today. Please everyone pray for her.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/o4TRWgAjQxYcd8yf6
Above is a link to her standing up when I took her off the couch and put her on the floor to see if she would walk towards me and she did take a few steps but then she laid right back down. I Feel like she's uncomfortable somewhere.

Attachments

• PXL_20230507_143521261.jpg
    PXL_20230507_143521261.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 16834712501566118636519229062754.jpg
    16834712501566118636519229062754.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I'm worried sick about Ethel this morning. She's lost weight down to 4 lb. 4 oz and having trouble balancing herself on her wooden log which is the perch she always sits on. She's able to stand on the floor fine and she even took a few steps but I'm really worried. I have her in the house with me and I'm going to keep an eye on her all day. But this is just too soon if anything's actually happening.
I've added a picture below of whatever this area is called. It's still feels hard which I know could be a tumor up in there, but it's hot also. Not on fire but very warm to the hand. We stopped her cephalexin. I guess 2 days ago? Should we give her a warm Epsom salt bath? Should we start her back on the Cephalexin?
@Allsfairinloveandbugs
@Wyorp Rock
@mrskenmore
@azygous
@BastyPutt
She is still getting her Vitamin E, 2 x daily, her Vitamin B100 complex crushed 1 x daily, her Calcium citrate and her Vitamin D. She can stand, like I said, she took a few steps but she prefers to lay down. She drank a few sips of water this morning and she took a few bites of food but she doesn't seem to have a lot of interest in her crumble or mealworms this morning. I'm going to cut up a few fruits, a minimal amount and make her a scrambled egg and see if she will eat any of that. Everything has been going so well and I'm so not prepared for this today. Please everyone pray for her.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/o4TRWgAjQxYcd8yf6
Above is a link to her standing up when I took her off the couch and put her on the floor to see if she would walk towards me and she did take a few steps but then she laid right back down. I Feel like she's uncomfortable somewhere.
I would re-start the Cephalexin immediately, since it seemed to have held symptoms at bay during the 2 1/2 weeks you were administering it. The fact that the hard mass in her abdomen nearly went away during the winter but reappeared this spring and did Not go away points to the concern Ethel may be continuing to internally lay and causing yet more infection within her. Every creature is of course mortal,and when we interact with an animal of any species as closely as you have worked with Ethel, we Know when something isnt right.😭

All i know to do is tag the heavy hitters medical experts on this forum in hopes someone has ideas to help her. Here's my hail Mary.
@azygous @Wyorp Rock @casportpony @coach723 @TwoCrows @Eggcessive
And anyone else who has helpful medical advice.

I would re-start the Cephalexin immediately, since it seemed to have held symptoms at bay during the 2 1/2 weeks you were administering it. The fact that the hard mass in her abdomen nearly went away during the winter but reappeared this spring and did Not go away points to the concern Ethel may be continuing to internally lay and causing yet more infection within her. Every creature is of course mortal,and when we interact with an animal of any species as closely as you have worked with Ethel, we Know when something isnt right.😭

All i know to do is tag the heavy hitters medical experts on this forum in hopes someone has ideas to help her. Here's my hail Mary.
@azygous @Wyorp Rock @casportpony @coach723 @TwoCrows @Eggcessive
And anyone else who has helpful medical advice.
Does anyone have any thoughts if giving her an Epsom salt bath might make her feel better or might soften up a release? Anything that's in there? She wouldn't eat her scrambled egg, but she did take just a few very small bites of an egg yolk. I can just tell she just doesn't feel good and I will start the cephalexin back immediately

Does anyone have any thoughts if giving her an Epsom salt bath might make her feel better or might soften up a release? Anything that's in there? She wouldn't eat her scrambled egg, but she did take just a few very small bites of an egg yolk. I can just tell she just doesn't feel good and I will start the cephalexin back immediately, Also, does anyone have any thoughts on why that area under her vent and between her legs that I pictured above in the previous post? This morning is so warm, almost hot. Is there a way to check a chicken's temperature? And if so, what is normal for a chicken?

Does anyone have any thoughts if giving her an Epsom salt bath might make her feel better or might soften up a release? Anything that's in there? She wouldn't eat her scrambled egg, but she did take just a few very small bites of an egg yolk. I can just tell she just doesn't feel good and I will start the cephalexin back immediately
A warm Epsom salts soak won't harm her at this time and yes could help her. A calcium citrate tablet should help too if her vent is blocked.
When was the last time she pooped and what did it look like?
When is the last time she ate, and what does her crop feel like now?

An FYI, along with tagging people, you can do a search on BYC. (click the magnifier on top right of page.) Type in key words, then click the search button. You can also type in a specific user name to get more specific input. For instance, I typed key words "EYP Epsom salts soak" and this thread popped up first, but there are many more. I don't make many threads since I can find most answers to my questions using the search function. But every case is unique and Ethel is your first ever chicken, so please keep asking questions if you are unsure how to proceed. Prayers for Ethel.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/egg-bound-or-egg-peritonitis-help.1573779/

@dawg53 is another medical expert that may have specific advice for Ethel. It may be that you are doing all that can be done, and answers to your questions are addressed on similiar threads. It is also possible that Mareks tumors are interfering with her oviduct.☹️ But I sure would feel better if someone who knows much more than me replies. Meanwhile, resume Cephalexin, give her a warm Epsom salt soak and a calcium citrate tablet. All that helped before, so hopefully it will again. Hopefully a medical expert wiill weigh in soon.

I agree with all of the things @Allsfairinloveandbugs has suggested. It can't hurt. Gotta do something. I would also suggest giving some sugar water with vitamins in case she's fallen behind in nourishment and is weak from hunger. It could elevate her glucose and give her energy to start eating again. If that fails, and she appears too weak to want to eat, tube feeding for one day could get her back on track.

@dawg53 is another medical expert that may have specific advice for Ethel. It may be that you are doing all that can be done, and answers to your questions are addressed on similiar threads. It is also possible that Mareks tumors are interfering with her oviduct.☹️ But I sure would feel better if someone who knows much more than me replies. Meanwhile, resume Cephalexin, give her a warm Epsom salt soak and a calcium citrate tablet. All that helped before, so hopefully it will again. Hopefully a medical expert wiill weigh in soon.
Okay so there's one thing I'm concerned about. We cut a few of her toenails to get the blood sample for her test and could one of those got an infected because that was just last week on Wednesday, so it has been four days. I don't see anything that looks abnormal, but then again I may not know what I'm looking for. I'm getting ready to soak her in a warm Epsom salt bath for about 10 to 15 minutes if I can keep her in there that long. I am also going to put a finger in her vent just to see what I feel because there is definitely something in there. Whether it be a tumor, a lash egg or an egg, which I don't think It is an egg. If anyone has any input please let me know, this is just killing me. I have read and read and read threads but I'm just still a little lost as to what is going on. I did give her the cephalexine a few hours ago. She had her calcium tablet this morning along with her vitamin E and vitamin d. She seems to be leaning more forward when she lays down then backwards or flat. I guess I should say maybe with her bottom slightly off the ground more than usual. She did poop today and I've posted a picture below. She has eaten just a few pecks of her off lock crumble and her mealworms and barely any fruits other than a few shreds of a carrot. I also want to point out if you'll watch the video when I reach my hand under to help her stand up. You can see her toes are curled under but once she gets up to take the first step they straighten out but she only takes a few steps before she wants to lay back down.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/csM6EhxTY8mwD1av9

Attachments

• PXL_20230507_183234470.jpg
    PXL_20230507_183234470.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 3
Okay so there's one thing I'm concerned about. We cut a few of her toenails to get the blood sample for her test and could one of those got an infected because that was just last week on Wednesday, so it has been four days. I don't see anything that looks abnormal, but then again I may not know what I'm looking for. I'm getting ready to soak her in a warm Epsom salt bath for about 10 to 15 minutes if I can keep her in there that long. I am also going to put a finger in her vent just to see what I feel because there is definitely something in there. Whether it be a tumor, a lash egg or an egg, which I don't think It is an egg. If anyone has any input please let me know, this is just killing me. I have read and read and read threads but I'm just still a little lost as to what is going on. I did give her the cephalexine a few hours ago. She had her calcium tablet this morning along with her vitamin E and vitamin d. She seems to be leaning more forward when she lays down then backwards or flat. I guess I should say maybe with her bottom slightly off the ground more than usual. She did poop today and I've posted a picture below. She has eaten just a few pecks of her off lock crumble and her mealworms and barely any fruits other than a few shreds of a carrot. I also want to point out if you'll watch the video when I reach my hand under to help her stand up. You can see her toes are curled under but once she gets up to take the first step they straighten out but she only takes a few steps before she wants to lay back down.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/csM6EhxTY8mwD1av9
So the picture below is what just came out of her vent after I gave her Epsom salt bath and put a glass finger in there. I don't feel anything in the vent but I can feel something. Not an egg I'm sure. Or pretty sure that feels like it under some skin not inside the vent. So right now I am blow drying her with a hair dryer and my husband is out getting some more Epsom salt
@Allsfairinloveandbugs
@azygous
@wyorp
@dawg53
@Eggcessive
@casportpony
@coach723

Attachments

• PXL_20230507_200446598.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230507_200446598.MP.jpg
    474.4 KB · Views: 4
Okay so there's one thing I'm concerned about. We cut a few of her toenails to get the blood sample for her test and could one of those got an infected because that was just last week on Wednesday, so it has been four days. I don't see anything that looks abnormal, but then again I may not know what I'm looking for.
If a toenail got infected it should be localized, but even IF one is infected, Cephalexin is very effective in treating skin and bone infections, so your bases are covered there.
.I'm getting ready to soak her in a warm Epsom salt bath for about 10 to 15 minutes if I can keep her in there that long.
That's great that the soak caused her to expel more poop. I would make sure she soaks for 15-20 minutes every time you do so. The warm water should feel very soothing, but put a hand on her to keep her soaking if she tries to escape.

That is a lot of urates in the first poop photo, and the curled toes are also concerning. As is her inbalance and discomfort in putting weight on her abdominal area while lying down. @azygous , can you see the video that @Gotalotofpetstoo just posted? If azygous can't see the video, you may need to wait until @Wyorp Rock comes online.

I home-necropsied an ISA Brown (red sexlink) hen last year, and the amount of salpingtis just inside her vent was horrifically huge; there was no way she could have ever passed the mass or anything else (food, etc) that backed up behind. The fact that Ethel is still passing poop is a very good thing. I don't know what else to tell you other than what azygous recently advised re electrolyte water and possibly tube-feeding. Meanwhile, I would go back to the beginning of this thread, and do EVERYthing you did that got her up and running after she was in such dire straights when you first began this thread.

OK i see you have tagged the list of experts again. Azygous and Wyorp Rock are most familiar with Ethel, but maybe someone who sees your recent posts, photos and video will also have something to add.

Back
Top Bottom