chicken cant swallow

susie6582001

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 24, 2010
help...I am new here.... I have a new flock of rhode Island reds, 10 weeks old... I have 19 hens and 5 roosters.... for the last few days one hen has been seen holding her mouth open. today I had a closer look. Her mouth was full of chick feed so I rinsed it out...it was full all the way down her neck...her crop is empty, and cant see her tongue. She is trying to drink water but it seems to run right back out. she has lost some weight, now markedly smaller than the other chickens... they have all been inside the coop..they have medicated chick feed and water that has minerals and electrolytes mixed in it. anybody have any idea what could be causing it and how I can help this poor little girl. she is still up and moving but a little lethargic

You can try giving her olive oil a few drops by syringe (without the needle of course) and massaging her throat...repeat a couple times per day and make her a soupy mash from her food, that will help clear an obstruction.

If it is gapeworm, you need to worm her ASAP...the gapeworms will cause her to suffocate. Use ivermectin or eprinex pour on. Just put a few drops (2-3) on the skin of her neck where the neck meets the shoulders. Repeat it in 10 days. Give her probiotics in her water after each worming.

You have no stated but what does her poo look like?

thank you all for your suggestions.... after several days of trying everything I could think of, and following all the suggestions here, and lots of love and encouragement to our girl, sadly she slipped away.... I do think that she starved to death.... she never pooped after seperating her from the flock, and her urates got real yellow.... I feel sure she went into kidney failure...I did look many time for any worms but never saw any....but no matter what I tried, I couldnt get food or water into her crop...I even tried a hand feeder for baby parrots with no luck... also I think that all my efforts may have caused a bit of pneumonia because after I would try and feed her she would always do alot of coughing and sneezing... poor girl isnt suffering anymore though... thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom