Chicken can't walk. Legs in front. Brown spot on side. After cocci treatment.

Chickenmama2023

Hatching
Jul 21, 2023
I'll try to make a long story short. I have a silver laced wyandotte that came down with what appeared to be coccidiosis. I was sold coccibuster and told to treat the entire flock. She was also dewormed because she had symptoms to that of gapeworm. Still working on recovery.

Treated the entire flock. Three 3 days later one of my other wyandotte's was hopping on one foot. I brought her inside. She was covered in poop so I bathed her and took at look at her foot. She's eating and drinking fine and doesn't appear to be egg bound. She is pooping some.

The only thing I've seen pop up is on the side of her foot. Photo attached. I've soaked her in Epsom salt... It does appear to want to come off but I can only lift the corner. Again, this is on the side of her foot.

Would a staph infection cause this? She can use her toes and her legs but it's like she doesn't know how. Right now they're both going straight in front of her. She flaps her wings just fine. Eyes look great.

I have amoxicillin, azithromycin and cefpodoxime as well as super greens antibiotics. Should I give any of these? Will Neosporin help if I can't remove the brown part?

I've tried pumping her with poultry cell, brewers yeast and poultry booster. Also drinking water with vitamin powder.

Please help.

Attachments

• PXL_20230721_145902093.jpg
    PXL_20230721_145902093.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 220
  • PXL_20230721_152529360.jpg
    PXL_20230721_152529360.jpg
    649.8 KB · Views: 12
It looks like Coccibuster is toltrazuril. What dosage did you use? Was your chicken vaccinated for Mareks, and have you ever seen any deaths from unknown reasons? Could this hen have been hurt by a rooster or another hen? How old is she? I would just watch the spot on her leg, since it looks like a peck or injury. Make sure that she is close to food and water or feed her a few times a day. A chicken sling may get her upright and make it easier for her to eat. Here are some good examples in posts 5, 11, and 12:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

I would get a super B complex tablet or capsule and give her one once daily. Vitamin deficiency can also cause this, particularly since both legs are forward. The B's are very safe, no worries. See if you get some improvement with that. Make sure she can reach food and water.

I would get a super B complex tablet or capsule and give her one once daily. Vitamin deficiency can also cause this, particularly since both legs are forward. The B's are very safe, no worries. See if you get some improvement with that. Make sure she can reach food and water.
Yes I've seen the video on the vitamin deficiency which is why I got the poultry cell, brewers yeast and poultry booster. High in B vitamins and Riboflavin. I guess I'll just do a straight tablet and see what happens. She's currently eating still. Tummy a little upset I think but she didn't eat well yesterday. She's currently upright in a tote with some towels, clean and able to balance.

Attachments

• PXL_20230721_161309961.jpg
    PXL_20230721_161309961.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 7
It looks like Coccibuster is toltrazuril. What dosage did you use? Was your chicken vaccinated for Mareks, and have you ever seen any deaths from unknown reasons? Could this hen have been hurt by a rooster or another hen? How old is she? I would just watch the spot on her leg, since it looks like a peck or injury. Make sure that she is close to food and water or feed her a few times a day. A chicken sling may get her upright and make it easier for her to eat. Here are some good examples in posts 5, 11, and 12:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
Yes we have roosters and other hens. I got her at 7 weeks from a reputable place so I don't know about the vaccine. I have not done it.. Never had any issues with anyone else. She just shy of a year old. Hoping it's a vitamin deficiency but wanted to eliminate any type of staph infection just in case. Maybe try yogurt instead of antibiotics?

Do you feed a commercial chicken feed? What is in the bowl looks like a lot of other stuff. If a vitamin deficiency is possible, then all that other stuff is replacing her feed, which can lead to deficiencies. They are very small, and it's very easy to over do extras. It's very hard to mix a home made feed yourself and meet all their nutritional needs.
Yogurt (any dairy) can cause digestive upset also if too much is given. If you want to give probiotics then I'd use an actual probiotic rather than the yogurt. Pro bios makes an all species one, Sav-a-chick makes one you can mix in the drinking water (make sure it's the probiotic one and not the electrolites one). Or you can use a human one.

Do you feed a commercial chicken feed? What is in the bowl looks like a lot of other stuff. If a vitamin deficiency is possible, then all that other stuff is replacing her feed, which can lead to deficiencies. They are very small, and it's very easy to over do extras. It's very hard to mix a home made feed yourself and meet all their nutritional needs.
Yogurt (any dairy) can cause digestive upset also if too much is given. If you want to give probiotics then I'd use an actual probiotic rather than the yogurt. Pro bios makes an all species one, Sav-a-chick makes one you can mix in the drinking water (make sure it's the probiotic one and not the electrolites one). Or you can use a human one.
I do... I use faithway layer pellets and the seller just recommended I also mix in some of their scratch which I'm not so happy about doing now.... I had my hubby buy straight 22% layer pellets which is what I was using before this happened and some medicated crumbles today so I can hopefully get back to where I was before. We had a problem with a 6ft rat snake a few weeks ago eating eggs but it's been rehomed since. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. She did voluntarily take the b complex vitamin earlier. I made her a sling out of a towel with some vise grips on the side of the tote for now. I really appreciate everyone's help. I'll keep trying until I can't try anymore or until she gives up.

As far as what's in the bowl in the photo, I was trying to give her something other than the layer pellets and scratch mix, which is what she's been getting for the last few days until my hubby got back with the other stuff earlier. So that's cucumber, boiled egg and poultry cell. I thought it was a fairly decent mix for vitamins... No?

I did not give her any yogurt as of yet. I do have the sav-a-chick probiotics so I guess I'll do that tonight.

Layer feed is usually 16%. You can use an all flock, grower, or starter/grower in the 18 -20% range (that's what I feed) and just make sure you have oyster shell available all the time for calcium in another feeder so they can take what they need, those other feeds don't have the extra calcium. None of those foods in the bowl are 'bad', it just means she eats that instead of her feed. There are a lot of trace minerals and nutrients that they need which are very hard to get in otherwise. I agree with you on the scratch, that should be only occasionally. It's generally very high carb and can make them fat, which leads to other health problems.
It's a good rule of thumb to limit treats, and treats means anything other than feed, to 10% or less of the total diet. It is very, very easy to over do them, we are probably all guilty of it at one time or another. On average, a laying hen will eat 1/4 lb of food a day (obviously that is an average and things will vary based on size, activity level, etc), that's only 4 ounces. So treats would be limited to 0.4 ounces, that's not very much at all.

Back
Top Bottom