Chicken can't walk

Jajika

Crowing
16 Years
Dec 24, 2007
Northern California
I have a rescue Silver Laced Wynadotte who is blind in one eye. She is now about eight years old. We adopted her when she was barely one. Over the past week I've noticed she was not very active, and then saw her stand up, take two steps and then sit down. Alarmed I put a bowl of water in front of her and she drank. Then a bowl of food and she ate. Normally I have tube feeders and waterers in their run, which is quite large, so I doubt she will be able to access those. I posted pics of her feet and legs. Any advice? Thanks

Attachments

• chic4.jpg
    chic4.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 12
  • chic5.jpg
    chic5.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 4
I see some raised scales, possible scaly leg mites?
I can also see her nails are very long, that makes me think she's been having a hard time moving for a bit now. Following to see what others say.
Thank you for the response. I suspect scaly mites as well. Looking for some remedies that can work for me. I've been clipping her nails. I'll check them again.

@azygous @Wyorp Rock

If we're dealing with scaly leg mites, I would coat those legs in a layer of vaseline, or I do sell a balm on my shop that I have used for scaly leg mites. Its formulated for chickens. :oops: Not sure if I'm allowed to say that or not...
Hi Weeg. Thanks. I've read that putting some ivermectin on her legs and then, drying and coating with vaseline helps. She doesn't lay so I don't need to worry about eggs. I'd love to know about your balm.

Hi Weeg. Thanks. I've read that putting some ivermectin on her legs and then, drying and coating with vaseline helps. She doesn't lay so I don't need to worry about eggs. I'd love to know about your balm.
I've heard of Ivermectin for mite and lice, but not for scaly leg mites. I'm sure it would work. The balm on my Etsy shop works the same way vaseline would, by smothering any eggs or mites on the legs.
Here's a link to my shop, the Birdie Balm is at the top. :) https://www.etsy.com/shop/MountainMistyMarket?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=1229802173

I've heard of Ivermectin for mite and lice, but not for scaly leg mites. I'm sure it would work. The balm on my Etsy shop works the same way vaseline would, by smothering any eggs or mites on the legs.
Here's a link to my shop, the Birdie Balm is at the top. :) https://www.etsy.com/shop/MountainMistyMarket?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=1229802173
Hi Weeg. Thanks. I've just ordered some balm and a treat for the chickens. I did clip her nails again and put some ivermectin on her legs, dried them, and coated them with vasoline. When I get your products, I'll switch to them. How often do you recommend coating her legs?

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. It's interesting because Hei Hei can get herself up into the coop at night. I move her out to the grassy area where the chickens have their afternoon field trip. I put Hei Hei in front of a bowl of water. She drinks and then eats the grass. When I let the girls back into their run, I put Hei Hei in front of a bowl of their food and a bowl of water. She has a long walk to get into the coop, but she seems to do it every night, so I'm encouraged. We'll see if these treatments help.

Hi Weeg. Thanks. I've just ordered some balm and a treat for the chickens. I did clip her nails again and put some ivermectin on her legs, dried them, and coated them with vasoline. When I get your products, I'll switch to them. How often do you recommend coating her legs?
Thank you! I really appreciate it. :) I would apply Birdie Balm just like Vaseline. I believe the recommendation is every couple days for two weeks.

Hi, there! The balm sounds GREAT! But all I see are old lady scales. They're lifted, but I don't see the poop buildup. I think it's just due to her age. As far as the difficulty walking, she might just be getting old. It certainly won't hurt to treat her for mites. And Ivermectin will treat scaly leg mites.

Have you checked for injury?

Back
Top Bottom