chicken can't walk

i came home to my chicken not being able to stand or walk i imedatly took her to the vet they tested her stool and she had worms
they think the worms were wearing her down in strength so they weighed her and i have 3 days of feeding her by syringe the meds
she is standing on both feet this morning . i would suggest all do the same when this happens ... so today all the other chickens
go in the office .... what a bill...

You can give dewormer medication yourself instead of having the vet do it & it is MUCH cheaper. Use the "Search" at the top of the page & type in "deworm" as the search term & select the "Emergencies" section, to bring up lots of discussions about how to deworm your chickens. You can buy the dewormer online or in a feed store.

It seems it would have been the ethical thing for your vet to tell you that option instead of telling you to bring all your birds in for them to do it. Chicken owners deworm their own birds almost all the time.

she weighed adelle , and from that weight she fixed the dose amount , as she only weighted 1.9 . she seemed fine all summer and eating like a horse , but she not get much bigger they were eating her food inside had no idea , then she couldn't stand the other night so i took her in pronto to find out what was wrong . i just got into chickens last year, and have been fun to have .. they have dewormer at the feed store which i will be getting to put in the water every month to stop this from happening again .

Here is some helpful info that can help you in choosing the right dewormer for your chickens. Be sure to ask the vet what were all the types of worms that your hen had. That way you can buy a dewormer that takes care of those specific types, since your other chickens probably have the same types since they live in the same environment.

There is also some info on dosing on the Medicine Chart page linked in my sig below.

Glad you were able to identify the problem!

I know that this forum is old but I have a 3 mth old rooster that I took to the vet and he told me its left leg had the same problem as your Clover with the ligaments and muscles not attaching. At one week old I saw that his leg was bent backwards. He is now three months old and I have tried everything to fix his leg but the older and heavier he gets the less he can support himself with his one good leg. He doesn't seem to be in pain and is he most love able little guy. Most of the day he watches Tv with me and I take him outside to play. Right now he can't seem to walk he does more of a crawling thing. That left leg I just dead weight. What I was wondering is how old Clover live and did he end up having any problems with his legs since he couldn't use them? I'm worried about the weight and blood flow that his legs are getting since h is always laying n them and can't use them. I love my guy soo much but I don't want him to suffer ! I would really appreciate any advice that you could give me. I don't know whether to keep on babying him or put him down. Please help

I know that this forum is old but I have a 3 mth old rooster that I took to the vet and he told me its left leg had the same problem as your Clover with the ligaments and muscles not attaching. At one week old I saw that his leg was bent backwards. He is now three months old and I have tried everything to fix his leg but the older and heavier he gets the less he can support himself with his one good leg. He doesn't seem to be in pain and is he most love able little guy. Most of the day he watches Tv with me and I take him outside to play. Right now he can't seem to walk he does more of a crawling thing. That left leg I just dead weight. What I was wondering is how old Clover live and did he end up having any problems with his legs since he couldn't use them? I'm worried about the weight and blood flow that his legs are getting since h is always laying n them and can't use them. I love my guy soo much but I don't want him to suffer ! I would really appreciate any advice that you could give me. I don't know whether to keep on babying him or put him down. Please help
Welcome to BYC. He sounds as though he has a slippend tendon, or other leg bone deformity. It's very sad since those things are difficult to treat successfully. You might try him in a chick chair or sling to get him off the ground. Place food and water within his reach. Here are some pictures of slings or chairs:

LL
LL
59765_pp.jpg
DCP_0102.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your chicken. I hope you can find a way help him get around. The chicken swings / chairs look promising. Best of luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom