chicken can't walk

(Info from thepoultrysite.com)

Marek's disease

Information
Marek's disease is a Herpes virus infection of chickens, and rarely turkeys in close association with chickens, seen worldwide. From the 1980s and 1990s highly virulent strains have become a problem in North America and Europe.
The disease has various manifestations: a) Neurological - Acute infiltration of the CNS and nerves resulting in 'floppy broiler syndrome' and transient paralysis, as well as more long-standing paralysis of legs or wings and eye lesions; b) Visceral - Tumours in heart, ovary, tests, muscles, lungs; c) Cutaneous - Tumours of feather follicles.
Morbidity is 10-50% and mortality up to 100%. Mortality in an affected flock typically continues at a moderate or high rate for quite a few weeks. In 'late' Marek's the mortality can extend to 40 weeks of age. Affected birds are more susceptible to other diseases, both parasitic and bacterial.
The route of infection is usually respiratory and the disease is highly contagious being spread by infective feather-follicle dander, fomites, etc. Infected birds remain viraemic for life. Vertical transmission is not considered to be important.
The virus survives at ambient temperature for a long time (65 weeks) when cell associated and is resistant to some disinfectants (quaternary ammonium and phenol). It is inactivated rapidly when frozen and thawed.

Signs
Paralysis of legs, wings and neck.
Loss of weight.
Grey iris or irregular pupil.
Vision impairment.
Skin around feather follicles raised and roughened.
Post-mortem lesions
Grey-white foci of neoplastic tissue in liver, spleen, kidney, lung, gonads, heart, and skeletal muscle.
Thickening of nerve trunks and loss of striation.
Microscopically - lymphoid infiltration is polymorphic.

Diagnosis
History, clinical signs, distribution of lesions, age affected, histopathology.
Differentiate from Lymphoid leukosis, botulism, deficiency of thiamine, deficiency of Ca/Phosphorus/Vitamin D, especially at the start of lay.
Treatment
None.

Prevention
Hygiene, all-in/all-out production, resistant strains, vaccination generally with 1500 PFU of HVT at day old (but increasingly by in-ovo application at transfer), association with other strains (SB1 Sero-type 2) and Rispen's.
It is common practice to use combinations of the different vaccine types in an effort to broaden the protection achieved. Genetics can help by increasing the frequency of the B21 gene that confers increased resistance to Marek's disease challenge.

I have a 3.5 yr old Rhode Island Red that started to display symptoms 3 weeks ago, of walking as if with arthritis, laying down, using her wings to walk. Last week she showed symptoms of a respiratory issue. So, last week, I started her on Vitamins & electrolytes in her (favorite) yogurt. I also put tetracycline in her water & change it every day with a new dose. Her appetite is good but she is obviously miserable. Her comb has flopped but it's a good red color. Her coopmate is a Plymouth Rock & very healthy. Since my red was the leader, the Rock doesn't attack her, but does stay away from her.

Note for anyone giving tetracycline....throw out the eggs for a good week after medication has stopped.

Feedback and suggestions are always appreciated!

I have a hen, Clover, who has similar symptoms. Her feet are curled up underneath her and she can't stand or walk. She does manage to flap her wings and flop around some. I got her from a neighbor who said that her flock was attacking her as chickens do when one looks hurt or limping. I took her in and eventually took her to a couple of vets. Both vets agreed that it was a genetic problem with the ligaments not properly attaching muscle to bone. I've since learned that this change happens in adolescence and can be caused by over breeding in the same flock.

My little Clover chicken can't live with the others, so I've set her up in a cat bed in the master bedroom. She doesn't bother to try to get out of the bed and I place a clean towel in her bed everyday. Because she is nearby all the time, she's because the favorite chicken. Even though she can't walk, she's very sweet and very loved. She sits on my lap and eats fruit and watches tv almost daily. Unfortunately, the ligament problem isn't treatable.

Not certain if you still look at this site, but I was wondering how it all turned out for Clover. I have a similar situation with my rooster, Nugget. If you would let me know, I would really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom