Chicken caught in Rollaway nesting box, mostly frozen. What to do?

MClean417

Songster
Feb 11, 2019
Went to check on the chickens today, I had a hen with her head stuck under the rollout bar on my Nesting box. I don't know if she was trying to peck the egg that was under there BUT she got caught and then, got cold. High was -4 degrees today though the coop in that run is showing 11 degrees. The run is enclosed in plastic with venting, the chickens generally like it BUT This one got cold and slightly strangulated. I was trying to warm her up with a heating pad BUT all the ones that constantly get used in this house DON'T work. So, I have her in my office with a space heater running to pump up the heat.
Tried giving her some water, she spit it out. She moves a bit, Turns her head when I pick her up and move her. I don't know. Time will tell I guess. May have got here too late. At least her feet are warmer, not room temp yet.
IcySplash.jpg

Went to check on the chickens today, I had a hen with her head stuck under the rollout bar on my Nesting box. I don't know if she was trying to peck the egg that was under there BUT she got caught and then, got cold. High was -4 degrees today though the coop in that run is showing 11 degrees. The run is enclosed in plastic with venting, the chickens generally like it BUT This one got cold and slightly strangulated. I was trying to warm her up with a heating pad BUT all the ones that constantly get used in this house DON'T work. So, I have her in my office with a space heater running to pump up the heat.
Tried giving her some water, she spit it out. She moves a bit, Turns her head when I pick her up and move her. I don't know. Time will tell I guess. May have got here too late. At least her feet are warmer, not room temp yet.View attachment 3726031
Can she lift her head at all? Hopefully her neck is just strained and not broken. I am so sorry she got herself in this predicament. Warming her the way you are sounds like a good idea to me. I pray she makes it.

Let her warm back up slowly. She may also have a neck injury (as @Luv Ducks suggests). Monitor her closely. Once she’s warmed up and more active, then you can also determine the extent of any injury. I’m sorry about your hen.

Ya, the heater isn't going straight at her, the air actually goes up from the exit of that. When I was about to pop her in the bag and she jerked I went looking for a heating pad, for low temp. That evidently is something of a mystical thing I guess. But lets leave family dynamics out of it. So, I sat her on my chest while the heater warmed my room up a bit. It was like, 65. And after she started responding more I stuck her under my jacket till we got more movement. But she was still just wanting to sit still. Put her in a cage, the room is in the mid 70's now. I moved her from where she was sitting on the clothes basket to a large kitty carrier where it safe, midlin warm and quite. Came back, she is still sitting there BUT when I tipped the cage up a bit she shifted forward and put her tail feather up to balance. The rest of the flock is asleep in the coop and it's her time here as well, though I have the lights on she's facing the back of the carrier. She was moving her head, keeping it level while I was tilting her body, you know that video stabilization thing they do (See Smarter Everyday on YouTube) so base body functions seem to be workign. She wasn't grabbing onto my fingers with her claws but this one, not sure she ever did grab on when I've picked her up AND they all sleep on 2x4s laid with the 3.5 inch section up so grasping isn't really necesary, though some sleep on the tree limb I have in there as well.
But, she didn't raise her tailfeathers last time I moved her so, maybe? If she's squawky tomorrow I'll take her back to the run where she can get food and water. Crowded as it is they won't have missed her much.

Ya, the heater isn't going straight at her, the air actually goes up from the exit of that. When I was about to pop her in the bag and she jerked I went looking for a heating pad, for low temp. That evidently is something of a mystical thing I guess. But lets leave family dynamics out of it. So, I sat her on my chest while the heater warmed my room up a bit. It was like, 65. And after she started responding more I stuck her under my jacket till we got more movement. But she was still just wanting to sit still. Put her in a cage, the room is in the mid 70's now. I moved her from where she was sitting on the clothes basket to a large kitty carrier where it safe, midlin warm and quite. Came back, she is still sitting there BUT when I tipped the cage up a bit she shifted forward and put her tail feather up to balance. The rest of the flock is asleep in the coop and it's her time here as well, though I have the lights on she's facing the back of the carrier. She was moving her head, keeping it level while I was tilting her body, you know that video stabilization thing they do (See Smarter Everyday on YouTube) so base body functions seem to be workign. She wasn't grabbing onto my fingers with her claws but this one, not sure she ever did grab on when I've picked her up AND they all sleep on 2x4s laid with the 3.5 inch section up so grasping isn't really necesary, though some sleep on the tree limb I have in there as well.
But, she didn't raise her tailfeathers last time I moved her so, maybe? If she's squawky tomorrow I'll take her back to the run where she can get food and water. Crowded as it is they won't have missed her much.
Make sure under her wing and her chest is warm to recover from hypothermia.

Tried giving her some water, she spit it out. She moves a bit, Turns her head when I pick her up and move her. I don't know. Time will tell I guess. May have got here too late. At least her feet are warmer, not room temp yet.View attachment 3726031
How is she doing now?

I'd work on trying to get her through shock now. Mix 1tsp sugar into a 1 cup of warm water and give her drops of sugar water to help bring her glucose levels up.
Keep encouraging her to take drops of the water and see if she will drink on her own if you hold a shallow cup to her beak.

Warming her slowly is a very good idea.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom