Chicken cawing sound, yelp

taw2559

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 2, 2012
I just got two new EE pullets, about 20-24 weeks. One started making a continuous cawing-type sound yesterday, with occasional yelps when she moves around. I'm thinking either something stuck in her throat or gapeworm? She had never been outdoors at her former location and I haven't let her out yet, since she hasn't been handled much and I'm afraid I won't be able to get her in at night. It's only been 3 days - could she have gapeworm? I noticed that her former owner fed her crumbles and I had pellets for my older birds. I bought crumbles and have been feeding those for two days. I noticed she ate yesterday but not today. I have been bedding in hay but she had been used to shavings. I've tried giving her oil but she won't swallow, I've looked down her throat and don't see anything (although she's not very cooperative), and I've massaged her throat. Her crop doesn't feel terrible large compared to my free-rangers, but she is younger. It does feel firm, not squishy. Any help would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom