Chicken closes 1 eye, any ideas ??

Kimberlybaker59

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2017
i have a hen that has started closing left eye flaps. All seems well no other oddities going on but it just seems like I'm missing something.

Attachments

• IMG_8551.JPG
    IMG_8551.JPG
    842.6 KB · Views: 7
If that's the only symptom and it's acting normally otherwise I would think it has an eye injury of some sort. It should heal up in time.

She's now closing both eyes & her head drifts around around to the back & she's laying down in the yard.. something is definetly up

I would look into her eyes for any drainage, bubbles, or gunk. Putting some saline eye drops into both eyes might help if it is some sort of irritation. Bring her inside to a basket or crate near water and feed, in case she is having trouble finding them with her eye issue. Look at your air circulation inside the coop for ammonia odors or dust, and maximize air movement from one end to another, especially if more openings are needed. Is she moving both legs and wings normally, and walking okay? While I worry that she may be dehydrated, there is also a slight possibility that something more serious is going on. Was she vaccinated for Mareks? Is her neck behaving like wry neck or torticolis? If you can get some chick vitamins with electrolytes in her water for a few days, that might cover wry neck, vitamin deficiency, or dehydration.

Back
Top Bottom