chicken cock-a-doodled

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 3ChickensNADuck, Dec 7, 2014.

1. 3ChickensNADuck

3ChickensNADuck Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    So one of my chickens cock-a-doodled this morning and tonight. I like the sound but live in the suburb so I put a Velcro collar on him. I don't think he's to keen about it. keeps walking backwards.
    Dang bird better earn his keep and get to mating with one of my hens to hatch more chickens. I like him but I don't know if he's worth keeping since he's one of those mini chicken breeds and will probably only produce small chickens. Maybe his offsprings will produce a small but succulent chicken?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    No offense meant, but wouldn't it be kinder to just take the Velcro off (or rehome him if you're worried about upsetting the neighbors or aren't allowed to have him)?

Either way, if he's stressed about his new collar, I wouldn't be in a rush for him to breed. The collar will likely make those attempts just take longer. When my bantams and standards mix, I usually end up with a chicken somewhere in between in size. Some are a little bigger and some are a little smaller, but they aren't really bantam sized.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by