Chicken Cold?

avance09

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 1, 2013
Hi, I am a newbie to chickens and chicken forums. I recently got two Frizzle chicks. They are now 4 weeks old. I was just watching them in their coop and noticed that one of them "sneezed" I guess and liquid came out of it's nose.

Do chickens get colds? And in the summer? I live in Arkansas and I just thought it was weird that it happened. Please help me figure out what is wrong. I want to be able to make him/her comfortable.

Thanks.

Chickens do sneeze sometimes if something irritates them such as dust, but they don't get colds. They get viral or bacterial diseases sometimes from carriers of those diseases in their flock or from wild birds coming into the yard. Mycoplasma or CRD, coryza, and infectious bronchitis are some of the different ones. The bacterial ones can be treated with antibiotics, and the viruses may have secondary infections that may be prevented with antibiotics. Here is a link to diseases and treatments: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Ok. I have been giving my chick some TLC and even putting some apple cider vinegar in their water in hopes that it was just their new environment that was causing the sneezing. However, it has been longer than a week and now they both have this "cold" or whatever it is. The constantly sneeze and walk around with their mouths open like they are panting. Since I am a newbie to chickens, I figured they were always hot so I give them fresh ice cold apple cider vinegar twice daily and they drink it like there's no end.

Here's where I'm concerned: I just spent some time with them (they are almost 6 weeks now) and they have drainage crusted on their noses. One has an eye that is constantly wet. I'm really starting to get worried because they have come to like me and come to me. They seem to act normal whereas they eat and drink all the time. They have continual food and water 24/7. The first week our coop had just regular backyard grass in it. Then due to flies, I researched and thought maybe we should put pine shavings in the bottom. This didn't work and I didn't like it so we choose the sand. This "cold" started around the time we put the pine shavings in so I was thinking maybe they weren't used to this environment and maybe thats what was causing this "cold". But I'm starting to think its a respiratory infection.

Please help so I can get them some medicine asap if i need to! And what kind of medicine?

Ok. I have been giving my chick some TLC and even putting some apple cider vinegar in their water in hopes that it was just their new environment that was causing the sneezing. However, it has been longer than a week and now they both have this "cold" or whatever it is. The constantly sneeze and walk around with their mouths open like they are panting. Since I am a newbie to chickens, I figured they were always hot so I give them fresh ice cold apple cider vinegar twice daily and they drink it like there's no end.

Here's where I'm concerned: I just spent some time with them (they are almost 6 weeks now) and they have drainage crusted on their noses. One has an eye that is constantly wet. I'm really starting to get worried because they have come to like me and come to me. They seem to act normal whereas they eat and drink all the time. They have continual food and water 24/7. The first week our coop had just regular backyard grass in it. Then due to flies, I researched and thought maybe we should put pine shavings in the bottom. This didn't work and I didn't like it so we choose the sand. This "cold" started around the time we put the pine shavings in so I was thinking maybe they weren't used to this environment and maybe thats what was causing this "cold". But I'm starting to think its a respiratory infection.

Please help so I can get them some medicine asap if i need to! And what kind of medicine?

Yes, it sounds as though your chicks have a respiratory disease. Depending on the disease, treatment with antibiotics may or may not be effective, as antibiotics are ineffective against viruses. With diseases caused by viruses, basically the only thing you can do is give supportive care (keep warm and comfortable, encourage to eat and drink, etc.). But I would still try treating them.

One antibiotic to try would be Tylan50, most likely in its powdered oral form. I'm not sure of the dosage (I've only ever used the injectable form), but I'm sure you can find it by searching BYC and/or the Internet. A somewhat weaker, but still effective, antibiotic to try would be Oxytetracycline (sold under names like Terramycin, Tetroxy HCA-280, and Duramycin). The Oxytetracycline dosage is 1/2 teaspoon Oxytetraycline per quart of drinking water for 7-14 days. Don't give Apple Cider Vinegar, probiotics, or dairy products during treatment, and replace the medicated water daily.

Okay. I have been giving my chicks the powder form of Duramycin daily in their water for two weeks. However, I have been giving approximately 1/8 of a teaspoon in their quart of water and I have seen no progress. Every other day or so I have to clean their nose due to it getting clogged with mucus. One of them, which I now think is becoming a rooster, has red eye lids. They always seem to act fine and happy which is weird to me. They roam my back yard happily and eat/drink normally. They are now 9 weeks old. I'm running out of options and may just have to take them to a vet. Or does anyone believe that if I keep giving them this Duramycin that they will eventually get better?

Back
Top Bottom