Chicken color calculator/genetics question.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by themenagerie, Oct 5, 2013.

1. themenagerie

themenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    I'm playing a little bit of "Who's my mommy" and maybe.. "Who's my daddy" as well. I'm trying to determine which of my chicks came from which hens. Would the color of a speckled sussex be considered partridge, jubilee or spangled? The roo is a blue orpington. Hens in question are a blue orpington, barred rock, and speckled sussex, and there may have been white rock eggs in there, but I can't be sure. I have 3 white, 1 splash, 2 partridge and 2 black chicks. I've got the black and splash figured out, I thought the partridge were the SS since they look exactly as my SS did as chicks (perhaps a wee bit lighter) , but if I do a calculation with blue/jubilee it shows white chicks..if I do it with partridge..it shows blue chicks. One twist to this, which may or may not be relevant.. I do have a Welsummer Roo, but I never see him mate hens, he's chased off on a regular basis..but could that account for the partridge chicks? I appears that it could, when I use the calculator. Thanks for your expertise!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by