Chicken compound build thread.

SixPack

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2016
Gooday folks! My wife and I , with some assistance from our two little girls,are gonna take on 6 day old hens here in another 10days.
We are in newbrunswick Canada, and I have no clue what kind of hens I ordered. Can't remember what the girl on the phone said. But they lay brown eggs apparently and I will find out for sure what breed when I pick them up.
This being out first experience with chickens, I have zero established infrastructure for them.
But yesterday I cleared some land out back and burnt the brush, have materials gathered up.
My procrastination timer went off, so in the next two weeks I hope to build a good little setup for my sixpack:)
Thought it may be fun to share some pictures of the progress and frustrations as they develope!
And hello to all at BYC, glad to have found such a good resource!:)

Built a 12x16 shed out back las fall, only got it sheeted in and siding on the front late December. Got used aluminum for roof for free, built it very cheap.But snow is gone now, thinning out around the shed, and am going to build a stand alone hen house/ pen of sorts directly behind it for shade purposes.
Use the shed to store food and water for the birds tho. Should work out good in theory..
Hopefully weather cooperates with my time off work so I can get out there and start building this weekend!

Peace

Haven't made much progress outback with the hen shack..
But the 6pack did arrive today.
Gonna have to get at er out back.
Isa Browns

Last edited:
for sure!
I'm off work for 6 days starting tomorrow, so no excuses for not makeing some progress!
Will update as progress is made :)

That shed would make an excellent coop!
Nice deep eaves for soffit vents and window protection....needs some gable and/or ridge venting.
Separate area(s) for inside storage of feed and supplies, for main flock, and for new birds/chicks/isolation of ill or rogue birds.

Looking forward to seeing your plans and progress......love a good build thread!

The shed would make a fine coop indeed! But it's built post and beam style out of cedar 5x5 and completely sheeted in with boards/mostly cedar. Has a wood stove in the back corner and kitchen table and half a dozen chairs.
I'm just gonna keep it as a place to hangout for now. Needs a couple windows and the cedar siding put on the rest of it still.
But the chickens are a higher priority at this point so the shed can wait.

Building a 5' by 5' coop directly behind shed. Found a few rocks to get it up off the ground. Built the floor structure out of 2x4's sitting on two cedar beams.

Then sheeted it in with random boards that were kicking around, mixture of pine, poplar, and cedar.
I plan to cover the floor with some linoleum flooring I have as well.

I don't really have a plan.. Just seen lots of pictures, kind of using those ideas as I go to figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom