Chicken coop big enough?

clukcluckquack

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2017
Hello, I am wondering if a 24 square foot chicken coop is big enough for 3 chcikens? That's 8 feet each, (not counting food and water) and i let them out to range on my property 1-2 times a week. I also give them lots of scraps (lettuce, spinach, strawberry tops, celery, ect.) About 3 times a week, if this matters. Im wondering because I'm thinking about getting a second, smaller chicken coop than the one I have and and baby chicks. Thanks!

You could possibly go one more adult. Do you live in a climate where staying inside is gonna be the norm for a bad winter? If so, I wouldn't push it any further.
Why a smaller coop for chickies? They get bigger. Rule of thumb is to go as big as you can.

A 24 sq ft coop is plenty for 3 chickens, however it sounds like you have them locked in there most of the time? How big is your run or do you not have one at all? Free ranging twice a week isn't the same as having daily outdoor access.

Sorry, by 24 square feet I was talking about one that is the coop compartment on top of the run, so it included all of it. I live in a southern climate where it never really gets that cold. I was getting a second smaller chicken coop because i only want a few and I don't want to buy another big coop.

I already have a large coop as I stated above. I am just wanting a small chicken coop for like 3 more chickens, and that I can raise some chicks in the beginning to replenish my flock for ones that have dies. I was not counting nest box space Btw. Thanks

Your existing flock should have at least 12 sq ft in the coop and then 30 sq ft in run space. If you get 3 more chicks, definitely don't go smaller than what you already have.

I'm wondering why you wouldn't want to integrate them all into one flock, instead of 2 separate coops and runs?

Back
Top Bottom