1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken coop can hold??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AnimalsComeFirst, Nov 18, 2011.

1. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  2. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

looks to me like 6 easy

3. claudicles

claudicles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    The usual amount of space it is wise to have to prevent conflict between your chickens is 4' square in the coop and 10' square in the run. That one is only a bit above 8 square feet so I would be ignoring the sellers advice and housing 2 or 3 only. What sort of run are you planning?

4. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

That coop is only 8.65 sf. Since you live in Mass. and the chickens are more than likely to spend some of the winter days inside, I would get no more than two LF chickens or three banties max.

5. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I find 4 sq feet per heavy chicken, 3 sq feet per light breed chicken, and 2 sq feet per bantam chickens to be a common rule. Of course, if they will be spending most of their time inside, I would maybe give them extra, or if they would not be spending much time inside, you could even do less. I currently have 5 very happy hens (1 silke tho...) in a 3' by 3' coop. I do have another coop just in case, but I don't want to separate them since they all love each other so much. Except for the silkie, but I hope to find her some friends and stick her in the other coop... but I guess that isn't what you were asking? Sorry for getting off topic.

6. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    2 no more and no less

7. Bluedwarf

Bluedwarf Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2011
    London
    I am a newbie to this so you can't take too much from my advice, however, I have been asking exactly the same questions as you about by own coop which look as if its slightly larger than this with three bars and not two.

I believe that it depends on 3 things:

1. The size of the chickens. Bantums require about a 3rd of the space of a large fowl;
    2. How much time they will spend inside. If they only are going in there to sleep and they are going to spend the rest of the time in the run or free ranging then you can get more in.
    3. What other facilities will they have to compensate. For example if they also have access to a large run which allows them protection from the elements then you can have more birds.

This design doesn't strike me as if it was meant for the birds to live in it full time.

So in my coop I have 7 bantums and 6 larger birds and they fit in there fine. However, I also have a big and secure run that offers them good protection from the elements during the day.

I am also now upgrading the coop to a shed as I want to create a bit more space for the birds and possibly get a couple more. You see I started with small intentions and they grew very quickly.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  8. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    I will be housing standard chickens in there.... and I will be letting them out in the winter; they free range, and they have a big covered pen.

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

It appears to be about 8 sq. ft., excluding nest boxes. I would be okay keeping a pair or trio of silkies or something in there...nothing more.

10. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    two or three? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by