Chicken Coop Construction for the Poor and Unhandy

FREECYCLE!

enter freecycle.org and you will join a network of people who enjoy giving and receiving for free- no strings attached - - find your closest freecycle group and post what you need. I have both given and received amazing things on freecycle. Gave away half a house as we renovated this place. Got everything from a lovely couch to decent speakers for my son, tons of lattice for the yard . . .

CRAIGSLIST as others mentioned

and JUST TELL EVERYONE what you need. Be surprised who knows who and who has what.

Last but not least, dont say you have no skills. You can pick up a saw and hammer today and you'll know more t the end of the day than you do now. I grew up in city/burbs as did my husband, and we did not nknow Jack. We did not even know WHO JACK WAS! You'll learn as you go.

GO GIRL!

Best of luck.

Here are pics of the unit I currently use on a normal city lot:

DSCF0032.jpg

DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg

DSCF0036.jpg

It doesnt take any great skills to build, and you can borrow the simple tools needed to build it. Most of the materials could be scrounged if you had a bit of patience.

Here is another simple design that could be easily adapted:
http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Building+a+Pasture+Shelter.html

And still another:
http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Building+a+Pasture+Shelter.html

None of these are dirt cheap, as in no-cost. But I bet you could do them for $50 with a little careful recycling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Yes I thought of that, but if Yanna could borrow a screw gun from someone, (or buy one-like at wallyworld for 30 bucks), one could fasten it together pretty simply. Cover it with chicken wire and voila. The hen house could be a dog house or such inside. I have ZERO, repeat ZERO, carpentry skills and I use my screwgun all the time and I am going to do this pallet thing, modified, because I just bought an incubator and some eggies and need more pens.
smile.png

I'm a self-taught do-it-yourselfer, and from my experience screws are the way to go. Nail guns are expensive, and my brother's requires an air compressor, and unless you have someone to help you hold things together while you hammer, hand-hammering nails is for the birds. I use a rechargeable power drill to predrill small holes, then use the same drill to drive the screws. I put up a fence that way.

If you have a fence company near you as well, they usually put out all of their scrap lumber in front of the company for anyone to take.
I have two fencing companies within a couple of miles of me. I have been making regular trips every couple of days or so and gathering wood from them.
Now when they see us sometimes they will bring out some stuff they have in the lumber yard and offer it to us.
I usually get brand new cedar that has been cut the wrong length or whatever.
They also got rid of these big cedar pallets that were already reinforced with cedar posts in the middle.The wood looked brand new, they told us that they don't reuse the pallets, they cut them up and put them in the bin.
Now they save them for us.
My husband made me a bunch of raised planter boxes for the garden ( 4X8 and 4X4) out of them and they look beautiful.
I would highly suggest fencing companies along with construction companies for some free lumber.
Also, the Home Depot has that bin with discounted wood that was cut wrong.
We got a beautiful 4 X 6 piece of birch out of that bin for $10.00
I agree, the fancy ones are nice but not a neccesity. If you want to own chickens the only important thing is their safety and comfort its definitely doable through recycled wood.
Good luck with the project and keep us posted.

RENTAL!! I just thought of it, you can rent most tools from Home Depot and Lowes, and seriously, dont discount your abilities, just take your time, have a game plan and be patient with yourself.
A Little Tykes Playhouse would be quite a score for a coop, I would love one of those, but I used the cull lumber and pallets and it worked pretty good.
It gets cold up here, with wind gusts of up to 60 mph, and monsoons that can flood a coop in less than 10 minutes, so I have my coops up off the ground and I have some cheap tarps that I got from a Savers second hand store and a staple gun (I strongly suggest you get a staple gun for quick fixes) and for the rainy season, I cover the coops with the tarps and staple them down, they provide protection from the wind and the rain.

Quote:
lau.gif
Too cute!

Well...you can make a great fence and/or coop with some pallets. Talk to restaurants or check your local landfills.

My first coop was used with totally recycled everything except screws. BTW, I strongly recommend a drill instead of a hammer. It's sooooo much easier. You don't have to buy an expensive one, either.

My first coop was made out of all recycled wood and the run was made with recycled pvc pipe and chicken wire. It was a true redneck run, lemme tell ya! hehe We tore that down and have redone it since then, but it was somethin'...BUT it worked!

I never used to know how to build, either. My dad helped me a lot. It's amazing what you learn with experience, though!

Never sell yourself short. You would be amazed how with a little trial and error you will find yourself becoming a very accomplished DIY'r. Our coop was built from mostly materials we either had laying around from previous projects, or salvaged from friends and neighbors that were about to trash them. We probably actually put maybe $75 into a couple of 10' 2 x 4s, a small walk gate and the chicken wire. Ask around you never know who has stuff they don't need.

NestingBox.jpg
<space>
TheCoop.jpg

The main walls of the coop were constructed from 4 4 x 10 dog kennel panels anchored to to 4x4s and covered with chicken wire. No plans or exact science was used. Just simple & easy.

Currently we have 5 hens and 4 Roos (3 Roos will be gone this weekend) and they seem to be comfortable in their home.
wee.gif
:

Back
Top Bottom