Chicken Coop Do's and Don'ts

Lala-chicken

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2023
I am a new chicken owner and we are in the process of building our first coop. We don't have a ton of room for a large coop but are planning on a 6x10 run with the coop elevated. The coop would be 4x6 with 3 to 4 nesting boxes inside (we will only have 5 to 6 chicks). My question is - what are your must haves? Looking for things to include for the coop (flooring, nesting, perching, storage, etc.) and what type of flooring for the coop and run (sand, pinestraw, etc.). Do you hang your water feeders and food? I would greatly appreciate any and all advice so we can start off on the right track.

Thanks!!

I am a new chicken owner and we are in the process of building our first coop. We don't have a ton of room for a large coop but are planning on a 6x10 run with the coop elevated. The coop would be 4x6 with 3 to 4 nesting boxes inside (we will only have 5 to 6 chicks). My question is - what are your must haves? Looking for things to include for the coop (flooring, nesting, perching, storage, etc.) and what type of flooring for the coop and run (sand, pinestraw, etc.). Do you hang your water feeders and food? I would greatly appreciate any and all advice so we can start off on the right track.

Thanks!!
The right track.
What is your climate like? You could fill in your location in your profile which will help people give advice/opinions relevant to the weather you get.
What predators do you have?
Why do you want to keep chickens and how do you intend to keep them, fully confined, out of the coop and run ranging for some hours daily, full ranging?
Once you've got these things clear in your mind then you'll be in a position to think about which breeds would fare best with your keeping model.

Last edited:
The right track.
What is your climate like? You could fill in your location in your profile which will help people give advice/opinions relevant to the weather you get.
Why you want to keep chickens and how do you intend to keep them, fully confined, out of the coop and run ranging for some hours daily, full ranging?
Once you've got these things clear in your mind then you'' be in a position to think about which breeds would far best with your keeping model.

The right track.
Why you want to keep chickens and how do you intend to keep them, fully confined, out of the coop and run ranging for some hours daily, full ranging?
Once you've got these things clear in your mind then you'' be in a position to think about which breeds would far best with your keeping model.
We are in Georgia, so really hot and very humid in summer and moderate to mild winters (low of 30's). We have fox, coyotes, bobcats, opposums, racoons, and hawks. I plan on free ranging them only when we are able to be outside with them which is quite often but they will get to roam the yard at least once a day as a minimum. The coop is in a fenced in back yard but I know predators are crafty.

Remember, if something you try doesn't work, you can change it.

We have both a hanging feeder and a non hanging one. You really don't need 3-4 nest boxes. Make less and use the space for something else.

My recommendation is to fit in/have a poop board with roost above. I find the poop board keeps the coop floor clean.
Thank you!

We are in Georgia, so really hot and very humid in summer and moderate to mild winters (low of 30's). We have fox, coyotes, bobcats, opposums, racoons, and hawks. I plan on free ranging them only when we are able to be outside with them which is quite often but they will get to roam the yard at least once a day as a minimum. The coop is in a fenced in back yard but I know predators are crafty.
You're going to need a well ventilated fortress.
A popular design here on BYC is to build a coop with the run attached, usually from one end of the coop making a rectangle with coop and run combined.
I've read your yard is fenced but I doubt it's security fencing.
I would sugggest you build you build a high security run with a small coop sat in the middle. This gives your chickens 3 layers of security when in the coop; your yard fence, then the security fence surrounding the coop and lastly the coop itself.
Plenty of people lose chickens in coops because once a predator is in the yard it can gain access to the coop itself without having to deal with what acts as a secure perimeter fence.
If you need lots of ventilation then what people usually do is cover the holes with hardware cloth. I suggest you use one 12 guage inch square weldmesh and then cover that with quarter inch hardware cloth. I've had rats chew through not so good quality hardware cloth.

Thank you! We were thinking something like this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230624_223948_Etsy.jpg
    Screenshot_20230624_223948_Etsy.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 58
Make sure you have easy access to clean inside the coop, the less nooks and crannies the better for having to fish dirty bedding around or out of. A little light with a timer you can set if you want a light on them to help them lay in the winter can be handy. I use one to help them get settled in at night, I have one coop that they wait until it's late before they try to go in and then it's too dark inside, so the little light helps.

Lots of ventilation as others have said. Easy access to food, water, and the nesting boxes. As easy as it is to buy extra chickens, avoid over crowding your coop, about 4 sqft in the coop per bird, 1 linear foot of roost per bird and 10 sqft per bird in the run minimum. 1 sqft of ventilation in the coop per bird, but in locations so the coop isn't drafty in the cold weather.

I have an elevated coop also. My coop floor is covered with linoleum. Then i use the deep bedding method. Doesn't smell, and i can make it deeper in winter to help insulate coop. Cold here can get to 20 below sometimes. I agree only make 2 nest boxes; seems weird but they share and most times all lay in same box! I also have a poop tray that is suspended under roost as they doo most of their pooping at night. It makes clean up a breeze and creates more coop floor space..
Heres a great article by 3killerBs on deep bedding method https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/
Good luck also i keep food snd water in run.
Water in small trash can with horizontal nipples on it, and feed in a 5 gallon feeder with pvc holes and fittings in it ( you can make your own check out the yt on them )
p.s.make sure roost bars are higher than nest boxes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom