New coop

HowIsItDone

Chirping
Mar 19, 2024
South Eastern Ontario
Hi!

First-timer here, although I have seen chickens at a distance before. 😂

We are going to build a coop from scratch, and the "construction manager" asked what kind of wood to use.
His idea is that it should still be standing and sturdy in 3 years.
It's going to be approx. 6x10, with a raised coop, including the run, for 3-6 chickens.

From what I can gather, PT is a must on wood that contacts the ground, and is safer now than before.
Would it be appropriate for the whole coop?

Is it better to use untreated but stained and painted wood where you can? If so, pine?

What do you suggest, and how often do you replace or have to fix your coop?
*Southeastern Ontario, Canada.

The idea that a coop would not be standing in 3 years is baffling; I expect mine to still be standing 20+ years from now.

Yes to PT for ground contact wood however, it is expensive so only use it where you need to.

Any of SPF (Spruce, Pine, Fir) can be used successfully for non ground contact locations esp. if it is properly painted or stained. Those are the woods that are commonly sold in big box stores.

I am up near Ottawa.

I bought the shed and had it delivered. My Dad and I built the run.

We used ground contact pressure treated wood for the base of the run and regular pressure treated for everything else. The wood was also stained/sealed. I expect it will out live me.

IMG_4882.jpeg

The idea that a coop would not be standing in 3 years is baffling; I expect mine to still be standing 20+ years from now.

Yes to PT for ground contact wood however, it is expensive so only use it where you need to.

Any of SPF (Spruce, Pine, Fir) can be used successfully for non ground contact locations esp. if it is properly painted or stained. Those are the woods that are commonly sold in big box stores.

I am up near Ottawa.
Okay, so he is worrying too much. Good to know.

I'm an hour south.
Nice to learn from someone local. 😊

Back
Top Bottom