Chicken Coop Heater - Have you used this product?

Kingerrrr

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2018
Hello,

I know a lot of people will say that the chickens don't need the coop to be heated, as they are great with temperature control. With proper ventilation to reduce moisture, they should be fine in an insulated coop. That being said, where I live can drop down to -40 degrees celcius; thats right....-40. So I want to be able to offer my chickens some form of heat source for the really cold spells we can get. I am going to close off the two smaller side vents to reduce wind coming in, as I have a 3ft long vent that runs along the top of the coop. I was looking into some solutions, and I want to avoid lamps for the obvious reasons of a fire. Has anyone used the product:
Cozy Products Safe Chicken Coop Pet Heater 200W Flat Panel Technology

if so, I would love some feedback as reviews online have been mixed.

Thanks,

Yes, I have one. I have it on right now to keep the coop above freezing. It's only set on the lower setting and it's keeping the coop around 38F. The coop has two pop holes which are open all the time, a vent near the ceiling that's open all the time, and it was down to around 10F last night. The coop is about 4' x 8'. I really like it.

I have a larger coop where I have a different sort of heater, the oil filled type electric, the coop is 4' x 12'. I use the lowest setting to just keep things above freezing, not warm. It also has two open-all-the-time pop holes and vent up high for good air circulation. I'm not sure if a flat heater would be as effective in this coop, but I bet it would.

Yes, I have one. I have it on right now to keep the coop above freezing. It's only set on the lower setting and it's keeping the coop around 38F. The coop has two pop holes which are open all the time, a vent near the ceiling that's open all the time, and it was down to around 10F last night. The coop is about 4' x 8'. I really like it.

I have a larger coop where I have a different sort of heater, the oil filled type electric, the coop is 4' x 12'. I use the lowest setting to just keep things above freezing, not warm. It also has two open-all-the-time pop holes and vent up high for good air circulation. I'm not sure if a flat heater would be as effective in this coop, but I bet it would.

Thats great to hear, sounds like our coops are similar. Mine is 4ft x 8ft as well. So even with your two vents open on the side and large ceiling vent it keeps enough heat inside? I think I will be ordering one soon. Thanks for the reply

Yeah, I think you'll be as happy with it as I am. I like the fact it hangs on the wall taking up so little space, and I can just leave it there instead of having to take it out and store it during the summer.

They say to place it on the level of the chickens as it's a radiant heat, but some coops have limitations as to wall space, so you will just need to hang it where you can. Heat rises as it heats the air, so you would want to place it lower than higher if you have options to choose.

I have the Cozy Coop heater and I love it. I usually will turn it one if the temps drop to 32 and lower. One thing I have found useful with the heater is help keeping the water from freezing. I place the chickens water near the heater and it will keep it thawed. I have it placed about 1 foot off the ground in the coop, yes the chickens will congregate near the heater to stay warm.

I just installed a Cozy Coop heater today. In my coop no way will it heat the coop. Provides a place for the chickens to go in front of.
It has two heat settings 100watt and 200 watt. Between this and my heat lamp I should be pretty good. It's not like a heating pad that stays a constant temp. It heats up to a set temperature (hot enough that I can't touch it when fully heated) shuts down to cool off to another set temp and the cycle keeps repeating. Like I said I just installed it today so the chickens still have to figure it out also and I can't speak for how long it will last. I have it under the poop board under the roost hoping to send some of the heat up.
KIMG0464.jpg
KIMG0462.jpg
KIMG0465.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom