chicken coop help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by faty lump is #1 chicken, Oct 9, 2009.

1. faty lump is #1 chicken

faty lump is #1 chicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    ok so im getting ready to put my chicks in the coop and i was wonderinig if i put straw down in the little area for them to walk around in so if you know something please help:) thnx

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Pine shavings would work great. They can snuggle right down in them. Make sure they are pine shavings and not cedar. Cedar shavings give off fumes from the aromatic oils that can cause respiratory problems in birds.

3. faty lump is #1 chicken

faty lump is #1 chicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    ok thnx for the help:rolleyes:

4. henningheather

henningheather Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2008
    Idaho
    What does that mean? Roll eyes. Her answer was perfect but straw would work if you have nothing available in the wood shavings dept. People here are very knowledgeable and try to give the best answer they can. When you need help, and you treat people with respect, you will always walk away with good answers. Then you can pick and choose which ones will work best for your situation and for what you have available. Best of luck.

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Just a note on straw - since the shafts are hollow, it's a good place for parasites like lice and mites to hide. So, it's really best not to use it at all, to avoid problems. Some folks do use it, but IMO, why take the chance?

6. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:Can you use shavings for the deep litter method? I thought that was only straw.

7. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Quote:Can you use shavings for the deep litter method? I thought that was only straw.

Most people use pine shavings for the deep litter method
    4 inches deep at least
    You can buy it in big bales very cheap at the feed store or even at walmart.

I have an 8 by 16ft coop/run combo all covered and use at least 3 bags on the bottom to get the desired depth.
    I also mixed a little FOOD GRADE DE in (i actually just put it on the floor in a thin layer before putting in all the shavings) and it's been great. They do all the mixing and no smell, no pests as yet.

Hope that helps

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas

Most people use pine shavings for the deep litter method
    4 inches deep at least
    You can buy it in big bales very cheap at the feed store or even at walmart.

I have an 8 by 16ft coop/run combo all covered and use at least 3 bags on the bottom to get the desired depth.
    I also mixed a little FOOD GRADE DE in (i actually just put it on the floor in a thin layer before putting in all the shavings) and it's been great. They do all the mixing and no smell, no pests as yet.

Hope that helps

I agree. I used pine shavings and do the deep litter method.

9. vabrown1

vabrown1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2009
    i used both, and they didnt seem to care one way or the other, so i found that straw was more managable to clean-up

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Not trying to be argumentive, but as Wynette said, you can have more problems with parasites with straw. Also, if it gets wet it can turn moldy, causing respiratory issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by