Chicken Coop in BASEMENT?

Quote:
Your most certainly welcome BC.

I bought some too. I cleaned the coop two weeks ago and have been coughing day and night.

It is something we should all be aware of here.

I am glad for the warning also. I already have some lung issues and am going to buy the masks. I also will make sure my daughter uses them when cleaning her coop.
Thanks,
Michele

Thought I would expand on this a bit since some seem interested.

Bloodshot Eyes
Histoplasmosis is a disease caused when airborne spores of the fungus Histoplasma capsulatum are inhaled into the lungs, the primary infection site. This microscopic fungus, which is found throughout the world in river valleys and soil where bird or bat droppings accumulate, is released into the air when soil is disturbed by plowing fields, sweeping chicken coops, or digging holes.
Histoplasmosis is often so mild that it produces no apparent symptoms. Any symptoms that might occur are often similar to those from a common cold. In fact, if you had histoplasmosis symptoms, you might dismiss them as those from a cold or flu, since the body's immune system normally overcomes the infection in a few days without treatment.

However, histoplasmosis, even mild cases, can later cause a serious eye disease called ocular histoplasmosis syndrome (OHS), a leading cause of vision loss in Americans ages 20 to 40.

How does histoplasmosis cause ocular histoplasmosis syndrome?

Scientists believe that Histoplasma capsulatum (histo) spores spread from the lungs to the eye, lodging in the choroid, a layer of blood vessels that provides blood and nutrients to the retina. The retina is the light-sensitive layer of tissue that lines the back of the eye. Scientists have not yet been able to detect any trace of the histo fungus in the eyes of patients with ocular histoplasmosis syndrome. Nevertheless, there is good reason to suspect the histo organism as the cause of OHS.

How does OHS develop? OHS develops when fragile, abnormal blood vessels grow underneath the retina. These abnormal blood vessels form a lesion known as choroidal neovascularization (CNV). If left untreated, the CNV lesion can turn into scar tissue and replace the normal retinal tissue in the macula. The macula is the central part of the retina that provides the sharp, central vision that allows us to read a newspaper or drive a car. When this scar tissue forms, visual messages from the retina to the brain are affected, and vision loss results.

Vision is also impaired when these abnormal blood vessels leak fluid and blood into the macula. If these abnormal blood vessels grow toward the center of the macula, they may affect a tiny depression called the fovea. The fovea is the region of the retina with the highest concentration of special retinal nerve cells, called cones, that produce sharp, daytime vision. Damage to the fovea and the cones can severely impair, and even destroy, this straight-ahead vision. Early treatment of OHS is essential; if the abnormal blood vessels have affected the fovea, controlling the disease will be more difficult. Since OHS rarely affects side, or peripheral vision, the disease does not cause total blindness.

What are the symptoms of OHS?

OHS usually has no symptoms in its early stages; the initial OHS infection usually subsides without the need for treatment. This is true for other histo infections; in fact, often the only evidence that the inflammation ever occurred are tiny scars called "histo spots," which remain at the infection sites. Histo spots do not generally affect vision, but for reasons that are still not well understood, they can result in complications years--sometimes even decades--after the original eye infection. Histo spots have been associated with the growth of the abnormal blood vessels underneath the retina.

In later stages, OHS symptoms may appear if the abnormal blood vessels cause changes in vision. For example, straight lines may appear crooked or wavy, or a blind spot may appear in the field of vision. Because these symptoms indicate that OHS has already progressed enough to affect vision, anyone who has been exposed to histoplasmosis and perceives even slight changes in vision should consult an eye care professional.

No I would not recomend raising chickens in a basement. All basements tend to be damp, the extrodinary amount of poop can enter small cracks in the concrete potentially rendering the house unliveable or condemed by the health department. Concrete is not water impervious so the stool will seep in. I have chicks in the garage, but have large plastic containers that are also tall and covered with wire I move the birds to a spare container and then throughly clean the used one outdoors. the garage conects via a door to the house, but no airvents...also I hang plastic up. These guys will be out in about 2 weeks or less, but atleast wanted some feathers on them before they go to coop and light. Now a suggestion. One of those car canopies see Sams club on the web, Costco also has...200.00 put a large chainlink dog run under it connected to a little playhouse/coop/shed....might not be great for meat birds...but they have ones with skylights, or you can use outdoor lights to add light. I use rope light...even the dog has trouble chewing them...works for layers.

I also would NOT recommend basement chickens. That would be terrible! :eek: As several people have already mentioned, I would more go for one of the garbage can stealth coops. I don't think that would be ideal for a meat chicken, but certainly would work for 2 or 3 egg laying hens. The basement, however, would not be ideal for you or the chickens. You might also get into trouble with the law for sheltering farm animals in the basement. That definitely would not be a sanitary practice, even with ventilation. The chicken dust would be outrageous along with the ammonia odor from the poo. Sorry.

welcome-byc.gif
by the way!
smile.png

I had Chicks in my basement for 6 weeks and that about drove me nuts. I had to constantly change their litter and sweep up the concrete floor. And they were in a box.
No way would I live with my girls as big as they are now. Not to mention they on occassion raise a fuss with each other and you can hear them fifty feet away.
So, I think that you'd regret doing it in the long run. I do totally understand why you would do anything to keep them ,however.

I don't know from the original post if the the poster was told he/she couldn't keep chickens in their yard. If so, I agree with the person that suggests that the original poster attend municipal meetings where such laws are made and petition the ones actually responsible for the regulations.

I have no idea what or where the GTA is but in most areas I'm familiar with the laws and zoning regulations are made by elected officials and not the unionized employees that some people just love to bash.

Should the original poster decide to keep chickens inside the house and someone in the household contracts a serious illness from their decision, it's quite possible that unionized healthcare professionals will be doing their best to provide the proper care for the individual.

Wayne
(A former union member and proud of it.)

Quote:
I agree!! I just moved my little ones outside, I had 5 in the brooder also and boy did they smell BAD, even when cleaned sometimes 2x a day. And that was only little chicks, with little poops. The big ones with bigger poops would smell even worse. Not to mention the kind of life they would have being cooped up in a basement.

Hi!

In the GTA it's becoming a problem with people having chickens in their backyards. We have slews of gov't workers in unions making $40 an hour with too much time on their hands so we can't put chickens in our backyard without getting a letter with threats within a day.

We do have lots of space in our basement though and can make a coup down there and control lighting, temperture, and air quality.

I'm interested in Cornish X.. but if they will be too noisy than a more docile breed.

I'd rather not put them in cages. I'd like them to roam around the ground. The floor is concrete.

Does anyone know how bad the noise/odor will be? I can install ventitlation.

If you were to do the same, how would you recommend someone go about this?

Thanks!
I think good if very careful and done properly. I always kept my day old chicks in the basement (25 +) for maybe six or eight weeks. Be careful about distribution of food. If cockroaches or the like find it, they will multiply like all get out. Be sure to give them some nice lighting with a timer. Use sawdust for bedding. Do a daily cleaning, and a thorough cleaning as needed. Try gentle breeds like Black Australorp, RI Reds or Buff Orpingtons. Less noise and fuss. You will not have an issue with smell or dust if you keep things cleaned up.

Back
Top Bottom