Chicken coop ramp

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by brubert, Apr 24, 2009.

1. brubert

brubert New Egg

Apr 24, 2009
    Can anyone tell me the correct angle for the ramp on the coop? Our coop is too high off the ground for the ramp that came with the coop so we need to make a new one. Thanks!!

2. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    I can't tell you the exact angle. But you can test it on them.

Also I have heard that if you put ridges on the board it is easier for them to get up.

Butterflygirl50 likes this.
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Should be less than a 45 degree slope.

4. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know but I moved the ramp to mine today to get in it. One of the month old chicks climbed it like a ladder with it standing almost strait up and then flew over my head when he realized he couldn't get in the coop.

It does have to have traction on it or they will slide down it right into the nearest roo which will turn around and attack. [​IMG]

5. tlharv

tlharv Out Of The Brooder

I installed a ramp last weekend, and the hens are too timid (or too stupid) to try it out. There's a 10" x 15" trapdoor in the bottom of their roost area, with a ramp that's 35-40 degrees decline and a 1"x2" furring strip laid down every 4" on the ramp. Nobody is going down yet... my wife and I have a bet going as to who will go down first. I think it'll be an Araucana, but she thinks it'll be a Black Sexlink. They seem pretty adventurous.

Perhaps they just have to grow into the idea?

6. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

My ramp is about at a 45' angle and has wood strips on it for traction. At first I only a couple on there but my girls are still a little on the small side so I added more in between and they seem to be much happier with the new set up. Good luck - show us some pics of your set up if you get a chance.
    [​IMG]

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I'm more of a fan of chicken steps. Chickens IMO seem more comfortable hopping up steps then skidding up/down a ramp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by