Chicken Coop & Run design

I think if they are allowed out all day and you free range most/all the time you will be ok. You will need to keep it clean often because you don’t have much air volume and ventilation. It looks like you could move it too which would greatly help the space deficiency. Keep them on fresh grass - it would really help. If your plan is to keep them in the “run” area, and not move the coop and run then I’d agree it’s to small. Overall I think most people overbuild the coop and nesting bars. My chickens never use all the space available- they squeeze into several nesting bars, and they are out of the coop for all but sleeping. I had a very large partially covered run (4,000 sqft for 30 birds) and still let them free range as much as I could.

The "coop" part of that looks suitable for food, water, and the nestbox.
But I don't think it has enough roost space for the chickens to sleep at night.

And when there is a day of bad weather, where do the chickens hang out to avoid it? That "coop" does not really have anywhere for chickens to spend time while they are awake, except the ground underneath. It is so close to the ground that the space underneath will be cramped for most standard-sized chickens, although it would not be as bad for bantams.

If you got a big covered dog run (maybe 10 feet square), and put that cute little coop inside, it would work in some climates. But for places with cold, snowy winters and places that get a lot of wind, you would need a much bigger space that is protected from the weather so the chickens can spend their days comfortably.

And as others have pointed out, predators are a serious consideration in most places, and that is probably not very sturdy. (It does have hardware cloth, which is much better than chicken wire, so it is better than some prefab setups.)

I don't know where you live, but that makes a big difference. Some examples:
--If you live on an island with no big predators, and with mild weather all of the year, the coop may be fine and just need a much bigger run (parts of Britain or Hawaii might qualify.)
--If you live somewhere warm or hot all year long, you would be better with a secure covered run, roosts & nests in the run, and no enclosed "coop" at all (can be appropriate in Florida and other southern parts of the US, and is commonly called an "open air coop.")
--But for places with several distinct seasons and normal predator pressure, the chickens will need a bigger run and also a bigger space to spend their days when the weather is bad.

Last edited:
A little confused on the interior of the coop - it has no actual floor, the nest box is a dishpan and the roost bars are holding up the water bucket?

Having no floor to the sleeping area isn't necessarily an issue as long as you take steps to predator proof better (my old coop was similar) but the roosts are too close together to be useful, and I don't know if I'd want the chickens huddling up next to a water bucket that could potentially be knocked over.

As noted by some others, the hardware cloth on the bottom of the coop and run should be removed for foot safety and to make clean up easier, as poop is just going to get ground into the wire.

Like I think the base unit could be ok for 2-3 as just a coop, with some alterations (really the roosts are bugging me). I'd also suggest a bigger run that you can stand up in, because unless you like working hunched over, you'll be hating clean up time with a low "run" like that. Something like that coop placed inside a 10x10 dog kennel with some hardware cloth at least up the bottom few feet and aproned out would give the birds a much better space to roam and better security.

cooh.PNG

My coop is a 10x8
coopa.PNG

What I would do different is enclose the porches and make rooms for younger birds. And a box to collet eggs outside the coop. Also I would put the door facing the garden area so I could shovel out to the garden. Also put a cover on the front door for snow since we get alot.
coopsa.PNG

Back
Top Bottom