Chicken Coop / Sheds For Canadian Winter

Pics
Your chickens will get mighty grumpy with even less square feet and start picking and fighting with each other. Chickens get bored easily. I’m curious as to why so many birds at first. If you’re considering raising layers and meat birds together I don’t think that’s a good idea since they need different feed. My best advice is start with fewer birds and see how you get through the first year. The chain link fence for the run, how tall is it? Is it protected from raptors? Raccoons are pretty smart and can easily reach climb over, reach in and grab the chickens by the neck. Then there’s the digging predators. Now to the roof, put a sturdy steep slopes roof over the plastic roof. You don’t need to insulate but you do need to ventilate. Building a simple structure is not rocket science. I’m sure there are you tube videos that show how to build a basic shelter.

Well I'm currently working out a deal with a hatchery on doing a research project for them. Keeping track of weights, gains, feed intake etc etc etc of heritage breeds. I would start with Barred Rocks or Rhode Island Reds. So the more birds the better. As with more birds the numbers will be more accurate. Or at least more fair and balanced. As in any study.

The fence is taller than me. Not sure on the exact height. I can get the height though. In terms of predators, we've only ever had issues with a fox. But at that time, the fence wasn't built yet. So I have had chickens before.

When you say build the wooden roof over the plastic one what do you mean? Wouldn't I just be building a structure onto the existing shed? Why would I be building over the shed?

Yes the nest boxes are raised, but they need to be lower than the roosts. Also, speaking from experience, stuff happens and you might need a space for a sick, injured, newly acquired bird. Regarding the chain link fence: is it covered? How big is the area? There is a lot to consider before starting your flock. I thought I had planned well enough however after going through the first year there’s been a lot of do-overs and adjustments. One last thing: these birds deserve your respect and commitment to providing adequate shelter and the healthiest and safest environment you can provide for them to thrive.

The chain link takes up the majority of my front yard which is big. I would have to measure to get the exact numbers. And no it is not covered but we've never had issues with raptors.

Well I'm currently working out a deal with a hatchery on doing a research project for them. Keeping track of weights, gains, feed intake etc etc etc of heritage breeds. I would start with Barred Rocks or Rhode Island Reds. So the more birds the better. As with more birds the numbers will be more accurate. Or at least more fair and balanced. As in any study.

The fence is taller than me. Not sure on the exact height. I can get the height though. In terms of predators, we've only ever had issues with a fox. But at that time, the fence wasn't built yet. So I have had chickens before.

When you say build the wooden roof over the plastic one what do you mean? Wouldn't I just be building a structure onto the existing shed? Why would I be building over the shed?
I think you missed the part where I said I had a similar shed at my old house and it will not hold up structurally under the winter snow unless you keep the roof totally cleared. I’ve spent a lot of time shoveling snow off that roof and when you are dealing with a 3 foot snow fall it is not easy. Also, I have 5 Rhode Island Red hens, 3 Barred Rock pullets and a RIR rooster in an 8 X 10 shed and approximately 170 square foot run and they get a little grumpy. I really can’t imagine 20 chickens in that space.

I think you missed the part where I said I had a similar shed at my old house and it will not hold up structurally under the winter snow unless you keep the roof totally cleared. I’ve spent a lot of time shoveling snow off that roof and when you are dealing with a 3 foot snow fall it is not easy. Also, I have 5 Rhode Island Red hens, 3 Barred Rock pullets and a RIR rooster in an 8 X 10 shed and approximately 170 square foot run and they get a little grumpy. I really can’t imagine 20 chickens in that space.

The sheds have been up for a few years now and never had any issues with snow harming the roof. They are placed under tree's if that makes a difference.

Would the "air cushion" come into effect with this idea of building an extension onto the shed?
OK, I mean this with kindness not malice, but did you have any physical science classes in high school? Honestly, I’m not trying to offend. My 7th grade science teacher had us take apart and put together an automobile engine so we knew how it worked. Not private school.

OK, I mean this with kindness not malice, but did you have any physical science classes in high school? Honestly, I’m not trying to offend. My 7th grade science teacher had us take apart and put together an automobile engine so we knew how it worked. Not private school.

I do but it was a while ago. But I guess it's still not enough for me to understand the whole concept. I am making my way through the Woods book and the way it is designed it allows for the air cushion. I was just wondering if it's the way the Woods coop is designed specifically that creates the cushion or if it's just the space that is allotted in the coop.

Plus I've never been that good with building in general. So any concepts to do with building or anything like that I am pretty bad at.

I'm just having a hard time visualizing how having the front open will not produce drafts. But everyone is telling me that it won't and I do believe them. Just looking to understand. As I don't want the chickens to be cold or anything and don't want any drafts.

Back
Top Bottom