Chicken Coop stability issues

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chemew, Aug 10, 2011.

1. chemew

chemew Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    Help - i've finished framing an 8x10' chicken coop using 2x4 vertical boards to create each of the four walls with rafters on top of a 3/4" plywood base resting on 4x4 posts. My problem is, the frame seems to be very wobbly. it doesn't move in the wind but it does wobble back and forth when pushed on it. Is this something that will go away when I put the siding on it or do I need to do something else to reinforce the frame before I proceed.

The plans I used, aside from some incorrect dimensions, doesn't mention anything about reinforcing the coop. The last thing i want is to have it collapse and kill any my chickens. Any advice?

2. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

The home improvement stores sell tiny metal L shaped brackets, predrilled with holes - you can put them in your corners for stability?

Good luck.

3. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    The siding firms it up.

4. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Quote:x2 I'm no expert but I don't think it shoud wobble. I know my frame was sturdy without the siding. Try bracing it. And ditto on [​IMG] Good luck and have fun.

5. seattlehens83

seattlehens83 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Seattle
    Depending on the siding... if your going to put plywood one the walls first that would secure it up very well. You could just cut 2x4's to fit btwn the joists also but thats a fair amount of work without a nail gun.

I had the same issues with my coop but as soon as I put the plywood on the outside its firm as can be.

6. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. You probably need bracing . The walls could supply the bracing if there solid. Make sure the framing is square when you attach the walls weather its boards or plywood' [​IMG]

7. flyboy129

flyboy129 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Frame wobble is normal as long as it only moves an inch or two when you push on it. More than that is excessive. Plywood or 4x8 siding will make it completely rigid. Using a level, plumb the studs so they are straight up and down, bracing them diagonally on the inside with a 2x4. This will "hold" your framing straight as you attach the siding or sheathing. Especially helpful when working solo. I'm only 130 lbs, but do most anything by myself. [​IMG]

8. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

How far apart are your studs in the wall frame?

Gail

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    The post reads as though the wall are up without framing. If the coop is framed with 2X4's with a top plate connecting the walls it will not wobble. Something is not right there. But then I may not be understanding the explaination that was given.[​IMG]

10. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    When I framed my coop walls, they did wobble a little bit. I did have to push decently hard on it to get that to happen, though. Once the siding and roof went on, everything was very firm.

Here's an image of my framing:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by