Chicken Coop Suggested Size

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bawkybawk, May 29, 2016.

1. bawkybawk

bawkybawk New Egg

Apr 21, 2016
    Hi, I've heard that 2 sq feet per chicken in the chicken coop is a good minimum, but I was wondering if people include the nesting boxes in that estimate? Or should nesting boxes be counted as separate space and not in the coop square feet?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Whether you go by the 4 sq. ft. minimum or the 2 sq. ft. minimum that I most often hear recommended, it means actual livable floor space. So anything that takes away from floor space should be deducted. Wall mounted nest boxes with usable space beneath would not take away from floor space.

If you're in an area that gets winters with snow/ice, I would highly recommend using the 4 sq. ft. min. But in areas that really don't get winters, 2 sq. ft is quite doable.

You will need to make sure your coop allows for enough linear roost space - 12" is recommended per LF bird.

3. bawkybawk

bawkybawk New Egg

Apr 21, 2016
    Thank you. That gives me a great idea, I was worried about square space in my coop but it's tall and I could just easily add a second story/shelf for the chickens to give them a few more square feet.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  4. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    the minimum size will vary

but if you can provide more space then by all means :)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by