Chicken counting eggs

GRAMGRAM97

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2022
New to chickens. I have 8 hens, 3 Golden Comets, 3 Cinnamon Queens, 1 Australorp, and 1 that was SUPPOSED to be a Barred Rock (but clearly isn't). Anyway, they've all started laying with minimal issues. My smallest, a golden comet, was the first to start. But her behavior is kind of odd. She is constantly going in the coop to count the eggs in each nest. She knows they are disappearing but can't figure out how they disappear. She always goes to count after somebody lays (and often while they are still in the nest) or when we enter the coop. This busy body behavior is causing her to get picked on. (Mostly only when she's constantly counting. She doesn't really get picked on in the run.) Yes, I have cameras in the coop and run and usually monitor them on a second computer screen, (I even have an excel sheet that I keep track of who lays at what time and in which box.) lol. Has anybody come across this before? Any suggestions on how to get her to stop?

New to chickens. I have 8 hens, 3 Golden Comets, 3 Cinnamon Queens, 1 Australorp, and 1 that was SUPPOSED to be a Barred Rock (but clearly isn't). Anyway, they've all started laying with minimal issues. My smallest, a golden comet, was the first to start. But her behavior is kind of odd. She is constantly going in the coop to count the eggs in each nest. She knows they are disappearing but can't figure out how they disappear. She always goes to count after somebody lays (and often while they are still in the nest) or when we enter the coop. This busy body behavior is causing her to get picked on. (Mostly only when she's constantly counting. She doesn't really get picked on in the run.) Yes, I have cameras in the coop and run and usually monitor them on a second computer screen, (I even have an excel sheet that I keep track of who lays at what time and in which box.) lol. Has anybody come across this before? Any suggestions on how to get her to stop?
Teach her to read the excel sheet and keep it where she can read it.:p

I'm not sure I see what the problem is. I can't think of nay method of changing her behaviour and unless she is getting injured by her nosey behaviour I would let her get on with it.

Has anybody come across this before? Any suggestions on how to get her to stop?
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Sounds like your lady may be low on the pecking order and is trying to find her way in for her turn to lay. The pecking may be causing the busy body-ness not the other way around.

While chickens can't technically count.. they definitely do notice when things are disappearing and nest are being raided. Knowing the nest is being raided.. causes SOME to lay elsewhere!

I had a hen that was relentless about making new hidden nest when one was found. I usually have to lock down for a few weeks each year when good weather starts.. to retrain the ladies to use the boxes.. as the blackberries are thick here.

It's for that reason that I always have a couple fake (ceramic or wooden) eggs left behind in each nest. And also possibly another good reason to have curtains or darkened nests..

For behavior and medical concerns.. it's good to note that none of your ladies are technically hens yet. As pullets.. they're still teenagers. Which in my experience is quite unruly across all species. They should mature nicely and settle into a routine.. but how long has it been going on already? Are you able to post pics of your set up?

She's actually been my most reliable layer. When her favorite box is in use, she has no problems using another. I'll try and get pictures soon but I'm getting ready to make some changes before winter sets in. I actually put a 12" wall/barrier to discourage her form poking her head in nests while somebody is laying. I may have to make that higher. Strangely enough, my hens prefer their boxes on the floor. She was the only one to use the ones elevated (and they weren't too high). Once I put one on the floor, she liked that one better, too. So now all my boxes are on the floor. I'm hoping her being picked on will stop her from always going to look at the eggs and it doesn't get worse. She's really not at the bottom of the pecking order. Yes, I really do watch their behaviors more than any sane person. Lol. She's very obsessive about checking out the nests (several times an hour) She always lays her egg very early (between 5:30 and 7). Maybe she just needs more toys in the run. Lol. (They do get let out of their run everyday, but can't let them free range all day because we live in the city) Currently, they have a nice roost in their run and I regularly use those hanging skewers for vegetables (big hit). Thinking about adding some branches and maybe a swing made from a branch. My concern is that this obsession is stressing her out and I'm afraid that she might get hurt when they pick on her. Yes, I obsess over my girls. Lol

She's always been obsessive. I think she's been laying about 2 months (I didn't start my excel sheet right away). But the being picked on has really only been going on a couple weeks.

Back
Top Bottom