Chicken dead from other or one chicken pickin on another

the girls club

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 15, 2013
Went out and found chicken dead in coop. It had been picked on by one chicken. I saw this while they were in the run. The other chickens left her alone. Went out and saw feathers missing on the pecked chicken. It was getting worse. She had blood on her backside under her tail and around her vent
Here is my question
Would clipping the beeks of the chickens stop them from picking on each other..Their is no deformation in any of their beeks. I was thinking if they had flatter beeks this would stop their pecking at each other. I have a 3 gallon feeder I make sure it's filled. I give them meal worms about 1 time during the week also scratch. Their coop is large enough. I understand that they will usually pick on the weakest one. I had 8 and now down to 6. The first one flew up to the top of the coop and broke it's neck. Not a scratch on her. The second one was deffinatly picked on.
If and when I get new ones would clipping all their beeks stop this. What else can I feed then to stop their pecking at each other. They do get melon at times and greens from our garden when we are able to have one. We give them pumpkin in the fall they eat the seeds. We have sunflowers in the summer when they dry up we give them the heads to pick at. Any ideas would be helpful. I just hate to see them pick on each other till it results in death

You're idea of big enough, and a chicken's idea of big enough may be very different. If they are constantly pecking at each other and fighting, you probably have some serious space issues.
Exactly how big is the coop and run? And what breeds do you have?

Remember, adults need at least 4 sq ft per bird of coop space AND at least 10 sq ft per bird of run space. And those are just a general guideline. Larger breeds need more.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom