Chicken Design Project Needs You!

[*]Do you keep chickens as a hobby or as a business? i suppose providing for your family is considered a hobby these days, which is ok bc if we called it a business - sure as heck the gov't would find a way to tax us for it even more.
[*]How long have you kept chickens? Between my husband and myself, 30 years. We went a few years without them but we have recently began a rebuilding process.
[*]How many chickens do you have? currently, we have none. we plan to have everything well designed before we put together our flocks. we plan to have 2 flocks of about 12 chickens, but will also have guinea, turkey, geese and more!!!!!
[*]What breed are they? we will have barred rock (for eating and eggs), silkies/ polish for kids and show and who knows what else!
[*]What problems do you face keeping chickens (what is the most time consuming part of keeping chickens)? In the past the hardest part was coop maintenance. We are designing our coops this time so it is easier to clean the floor.
[*]Have you had problems with predators in the past? (If so please say what kind of predator and what happened) There have been skunks, weasels, fox, cats, dogs... anything that can get them will get them. We are building large enclosures for the chickens to avoid that from now on. There are a lot of dogs that run in our town and we can't risk it.
[*]What style of chicken housing do you have (material and size)? We are building our coop with rough lumber up off the ground about 4 feet on telephone poles. The sides come off but roof and ends stay in place. It's about 10 x 6 x 4 and we are considering a second level just for food, maybe some mirrors, toys, etc. The enclosure is about 25 x 25 x 12 with two doors front and back. The pen is done, poles are set for coop, just have to put the coop up and get the chickens. :eek:)
[*]Do you find areas of difficulty in different seasons? We have a tough winter in MN, as keeping any animal warm can be hard. We are building the coop off the ground so that there is a nice shaded area for the chickens in the summer. We hate leaves in the fall on the netting overhead but a leafblower does the trick.
[*]What happens to the chickens when you go away? they seek counseling. seriously? they're chickens. anyone who gets chickens probably doesn't go anywhere for very long, do they? we never leave for more than a day or two, and in that case we just leave extra food and have someone stop by to close them up and check water, etc.

[*]Do you keep chickens as a hobby or as a business?
Hobby
[*]How long have you kept chickens?
Off and on for 10 years
[*]How many chickens do you have?
None right at the moment, 12 coming as soon as I decide on variety
[*]What breed are they?
Orpingtons or Brahmas
[*]What problems do you face keeping chickens (what is the most time consuming part of keeping chickens)?
I only live at our farm part time so I have to arrange for care during part of the week.
[*]Have you had problems with predators in the past? (If so please say what kind of predator and what happened)
We have lost smaller chickens to a hawk
[*]What style of chicken housing do you have (material and size)?
Just finished 4' by 8' coop with integrated 8' by 12' run. It is all wood with Ondura roof.
[*]Do you find areas of difficulty in different seasons?
Summer sometimes requires efforts to cool. We are in north florida.
[*]What happens to the chickens when you go away?
I have a person who takes care of our place when we are away and helps us on the farm in general.

Last edited:
hobby
2 years
about a dozen permanent layers, with about 40 chicks at the moment
[*]What breed are they?
mutt
big_smile.png

[*]What problems do you face keeping chickens (what is the most time consuming part of keeping chickens)?
keeping grass in their run, keeping predators out of the run, re-filling the annoyingly heavy waterers
[*]Have you had problems with predators in the past? (If so please say what kind of predator and what happened)
yes - one time. raccoons pulled two of my older chicks out of their tractor through a 1" gap. i've since trapped and dispatched a dozen raccoons.
a big old shed retrofitted into a coop, and a very large run. also various brooders and tractors for growing chicks.
water in the winter is the bane of my existence.
... i don't go away.
big_smile.png

[*]Do you keep chickens as a hobby or as a business?- Hobby
[*]How long have you kept chickens? - since 2008
[*]How many chickens do you have?- about 23
[*]What breed are they? - all Ameraucana
[*]What problems do you face keeping chickens (what is the most time consuming part of keeping chickens)? - conditioning and show prep
[*]Have you had problems with predators in the past? (If so please say what kind of predator and what happened) - I had one raccoon pull a silver rooster through a fence.
[*]What style of chicken housing do you have (material and size)? - I keep mine in breeding runs
[*]Do you find areas of difficulty in different seasons? - I have some difficulty in extreme high temps and lows
[*]What happens to the chickens when you go away?- I have family watch them

Hobby
[*]How long have you kept chickens? -
I have only had this group a couple months ( had farm chickens for years )
six is the limit here. I am in a suburb.
[*]What breed are they?
2 Austrolorp, 2 Easter eggers, and 2 California Whites
Everything wants to eat them. We have racoons, foxes and birds of prey here in town as well as dogs.
I lost many duck eggs to foxes while in the country. The only thing that got in the chicken coop was a snake about 4 foot long. I think it was a bull snake but the chickens did a good job killing it. I could not get close for all of the flapping wings.
I have an 8x8 converted wooden shed and a 10x 20 fenced run with a wire top as well.
Heat in the winter is a concern but with power to the coop we will be adding heaters for the hens and for the water.
I have a neighbor and grown children that are willing to tend to them.

Hobby

3.5 months

[*]What breed are they?

Rhode island red, speckled sussex, Wyandotte, d'uccle, brahma, Easter egger, frizzle Cochin.

When the tempature outside gets too hot. Keeping the chickens cool. I have 2 dog kennels set up and bring them in the basement of the house when the tempature is 95F degrees or higher.

No

12x5x8 room in garage fully insulated with eletricity for heat lamp during winter and light. 22x5x5 fully secure wire chicken run. Steel door to outside. We have to put the chickens to bed everynight and wake them every morning. Since our coop is in the garage, it is 100% predator proof when both doors are closed.

Yes, summers are too hot some days.

I keep them in the coop with extra food and water. I close up the run. My parents come over 2 times a day to make sure they are okay.

[*]Do you keep chickens as a hobby or as a business? Hobby
[*]How long have you kept chickens? A little over a Year
[*]How many chickens do you have? 22 and counting.
smile.png

[*]What breed are they? Lavender-B/L/S-Blue-black Ameracaunas, Buff Orphingtons, Silver-laced wyandottes, Light Brahmas, Lakenvelder, White Leghorn, Speckled Sussex, Black Silkie,EE's
[*]What problems do you face keeping chickens (what is the most time consuming part of keeping chickens)? Flys and feed. I go thru food like you wouldn't believe. With the squirrels and mice and birds eating the food and my mother throwing scoop fulls of it out at a time for them i have gone thru over half a 50 lbs bag of scratch in about a week and a half. I feed them laying mash at night.
[*]Have you had problems with predators in the past? (If so please say what kind of predator and what happened) Squirrels. They are coming into my coop and stealing my eggs. My coop is to big to raise to stop them from nesting under it.
[*]What style of chicken housing do you have (material and size)? wood and metal roofing and chicken wire. My coop is 6 across by 12 long and 6 feet tall in the front and 11 feet tall in the back. 3 sides are wood and the last side is chicken wire. Top is metal and bottom is wood.
[*]Do you find areas of difficulty in different seasons? Not really, it gets hot but i have misters in the run and turn those on for them in the morning and overflow the horse waters during the day so they can get there feet wet.
[*]What happens to the chickens when you go away? I have a friend take care of them. She is really good with animals and i trust her completely with mine.

Last edited:
[*]Do you keep chickens as a hobby or as a business? Hobby
[*]How long have you kept chickens? 40 years
[*]How many chickens do you have? ranges 40 to 200+
[*]What breed are they? American dominique, American Game
[*]What problems do you face keeping chickens (what is the most time consuming part of keeping chickens)? Food, water and pasture management
oppossum, racoon, red fox, coyote, domestic grey wolf (dog), domestic cat, bobcat, striped skunk, shrew, Coopers hawk, red-tailed hawk, ferrugenous hawk, great horned owl
Most intances deathloss. Sometimes just feather loss. Egg loss.

Past had numerous barns and trees
Present, small mobile coops, elevated roosts - made of wire fencing and wood
Summer, heat stress
Winter - forage base collapse, deep snow, low temperatures, high wind, predators willing to take risk
[*]What happens to the chickens when you go away? Students or friend house sits, no interuption in care

Hobby. Pets!

3 years, since they were chicks.

Depends. Right now we have 8 chickens plus one chick and one fertile egg under a broodygirl. A few months ago we had 13, but happily re-homed 5 teenroo's.

[*]What breed are they?

Silkie rooster, his sister the Silkie hen, a Rosecomb hen and her 4 Rosecomb/Silkie daughter hens, one EE and her EE/Silkie chick. Plus, one possible Silkie hatching in 2 weeks.

Problems?
hu.gif

2 footed predators are the worst. Suburban kids without adequate parentage are cruel, unkind, unfeeling rampaging vandals. Hawks used to swoop down, but our chickens always fought them off just fine. A few feral cats have been beaten away by our chickens, but one was welcome to roll in the dustbath with them, we don't know why they accepted her but none others, they would lay around together.

Hand-built wooden shed. At first they lived in a basement room, went out every am and came in every pm to sleep. Now, we know better; the chickens have their own hut outdoors, locked at night.

Heat is difficult. Cold is easy. They prefer the cold.

A friend visited daily. In the future, a hired pet sitter will do the work.

Oh wait! The ONE problem has been what to do with unwanted roosters. I am learning to cull and eat them, but haven't done it yet. Better yet, I'd rather our society welcomed roosters. Why not? We welcome the noise of leaf blowers and the stench of dog poo and the diseases of cats, and we apparrently accept gangs and drug deals in our school yards... what's so OFF about roosters, anyways? I think the problem is, we need to get past that. We love leaf blowers, lawn mowers, dogs and cats. We can love our roosters, too. Yard candy, IMO. I guess this problem goes along with nosey busybody neighbors who dare to tell people whether they should keep chickens, though it's really none of their business whether one chooses to keep chickens, or fine art, or foster-sponsor kids in another country, etc.... but people just get so dang worked up about chickens in backyards, its time we got past that, too. I guess that's the problem, IMO.

Good luck on your project!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom