• no, a little too ridiculous for me

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

betcdeamfarm

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 2, 2013
This is the forum I decided to post this on, trying to decide where the most appropriate place might be? But I was looking at mypetchicken.com and came across and ad for chicken diapers. I don't plan on bringing anyone inside, but it was amusing and I thought it my make a good discussion for what your opinions might be? They were kind of cute, but I know someone who just wouldn't go for it AT ALL (my husband).... just a thought

I bought a chicken diaper, my chicken didn't like it though, it annoyed her and she kept trying to take it off.
hmm.png

My roo wears a nappy, it took him weeks to get used to it! He walked backwards, kicked at it, pulled at it and fell off the bed (where he spends a good deal of time) If properly fitted the diapers don't slide around too much, even if the chicken pulls at them. As it stands now my roo grooms his nappy when he grooms his feathers and gets upset if he's on the bed and I forget to put it on.

from my experience, at home, with all our chicks, i would just be going after the chicken cleaning poops and relying on the lhasa team to lick up after them... all my furniture in my house are washable or falling apart so except for my (adult) children making faces at me, dont think any chicken here will where a diaper. but u never know. my eccentricity is expanding with advanced age, and the willingness to do anything i want even if everyone makes fun of it. after a certain age, who cares?

I thought I would jump in =)

I make chicken diapers and baby chick diapers - and am just starting a new adventure in duck and goose diapers - to give you my perspective.

Keeping up with a diaper is hard work. I don't have any children yet (I'm only 22 lol) so I can't say firsthand, but people have told me it is like having a diapered toddler that needs to be changed every couple hours. It is a lot of work! I have 5 serama chickens that live inside and I could NEVER diaper all of them (cost aside because I make them) simply because it would take all the fun out of having them around me. I would have to change someone every 5 minutes and it would just be a pain. I generally let two of my birds out to roam the house at a time. I can handle two birds in diapers. My serama run around the house, can fly up on the furniture, dust bathe in the laundry (LOL) and be as chicken-like as an indoor chicken possibly could with their diaper. I also have a gosling that is diapered every second that I am home. Diapers are a great way to cuddle without getting pooped on, and keep the poop mess in one place rather than all over your floor. It's still a mess. You still have to clean it up - and regularly because a diaper left for too long, just like a human baby, can cause irritation to the skin and makes a huge matted mess of any butt feathers that aren't rinsed regularly. So I think if the fun of cuddling on the couch/bed and having your feathered friends run around the house with you is worth 5 minutes per bird every 1-2 hours, go for it! you want it to give you more opportunity to love your bird, not make your bird a chore =)

hahahahahahahahaahah I thought this thread was a joke until I actually saw the web site you were talking about with the diapers, Never im 100 years would I of believed it lol, My poor grandmother (who is 92) raised chickens for 50 years, I think she would grab me by the neck ( like a chicken) and choke me if i ever tried diapering up one of her girls
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom