Chicken diarrhea

May 25, 2021
Edmond (Snohomish County) WA
I have a roughly 2 years old Speckled sussex hen, and she's been having diarrhea for about a month already, she's not eating at all on her own and only drinking a little bit of water, we had to force feed her to make sure she stays alive. She's been loosing a lot of weight, you can feel her bones very clearly, her face is really pale, her droppings usually white, yellow, watery, and sometimes with a bit of brown. Also she seems to be breathing harder then our other chickens, her mouth is not open but you can tell from the way her throat is moving. She always shakes her head around as if a bug is itching her but there's nothing actually there, and she likes to just stand or sit in one place and stay there for a really long time. Right before this, she had mites and diarrhea, we got rid of the mites but the diarrhea is still going.

Infectious coryza and Marek's disease can have similar sounding symptoms with the diarrhea, weight loss, and breathing issues. Marek's is usually something they get vaccinated for as chicks depending on where you buy them. Coryza is like a really bad cold and they can get it from anywhere. Hopefully it's not either of the two.
Did you isolate her when you seen symptoms?
Do you have any pictures of the hen and the diarrhea?

I did isolate her for about a week, but she seemed like she hated staying in and was getting stressed, so I put her back with the flock. The other chickens look completely unaffected and is fine.
Right now, she is extremely weak and looks like she's about to die. At this point, there's not really anything else I can do so I'm just going let her have peaceful last moments :(
Thank you for your help.

Also, are any specific instructions on how to clean the coop afterwards to prevent the other chickens from getting it too?
(Just letting you know, she came from a different hatchery than my other chickens. Maybe that's why they're not getting this too?)

Also, are any specific instructions on how to clean the coop afterwards to prevent the other chickens from getting it too?
(Just letting you know, she came from a different hatchery than my other chickens. Maybe that's why they're not getting this too?)
I'm very sorry to hear she isn't recovering. If she was with the other chickens and it was something infectious, it's likely that the other chickens would have it by now. It is possible that your other chickens were vaccinated if it was Marek's and she wasn't, so they might be fine - just keep a close eye.
I would recommend something like Virkon disinfectant afterwards. Clean out the entire coop with the bedding and strip it right down, then apply a disinfectant (with the chickens out of the coop for a good few hours until it dried) and let it sit for 10 minutes soaking wet, then either let dry or wash out. Virkon kills most viruses and bacteria.

I wouldn’t jump to conclusions that is something infectious, or serious as Mareks disease or coryza. We haven’t had many symptoms described yet. Diarrhea is a side effect of something going on with her. Most chickens do better with their flocks, so I would try to get her back with them. If they seem to pick at her, try putting her in a dog crate with food and water. Have you thought of worming her, and giving some probiotics? Offer some mushy wet feed once a day in a clean small bowl. A little plain Greek yogurt can be added (just a couple of tsp.) Offer a bit of scrambled soft egg. Liver can be used if she is anemic from the mites.

How does her crop feel? Is it emptying by the next morning? Do you have a picture of her typical poops? Is there any enlargement of her lower belly between the legs? Make sure no mites have come back on her. Cancer and reproductive disorders can be common in hens.

Keep the coop bedding as dry and clean as possible. Pick up droppings regularly and replace with clean pine shavings when needed.

Back
Top Bottom