Chicken Diet

_Kelley_

Chirping
Mar 29, 2020
Hi! I'm new to raising chickens. I have a flock of three 6week old chicks. I think I read somewhere that the majority of the chicks diet needs to be chick starter feed. I just want to make sure I'm doing this right and they're getting what they need. In the morning I let them out of the "box" into the run where their chick start feed and water is. I wait for them to eat as much as they want then I open the run door and they get to roam the backyard. They love scratching for bugs and eating clover and resting under the sage bush. I put a little saucer of water out in my flower bed on the opposite side of my yard from the coop. Then when we eat dinner I put them back in the run and shut the door and they will eat the chick start and get a drink. Then after the we're done with dinner I put them in the "box" with the roosting bar for the night to keep them safe.

I don't put food or water in the sleeping box area because they make a mess. Is this OK?

They don't really go back to the coop to eat chick feed during the day. So its chick feed in the morning, then scavenging bugs and plants all day, then chick start in the evening. Is this healthy? I don't want to feed them chick feed outside of the coop because I want to be able to get them back in the coop and I want them to know where their feed is.

Thank you for your advice.

I agree that feed out of the predator proof run and coop invites predators, and I don't have food out there either. Your run door and coop door should be open all day, so they can go back whenever they feel the need, for food or whatever.
Calling your coop a 'box' makes we wonder how it all really looks. how about posting some pictures?
I have food and water in my coop/ run combination, so everyone can eat and drink first thing at dawn, well before I show up in the morning! Most eating happens early in the morning, and right before roosting at night, but especially my youngsters come back and eat throughout the day.
Mary

Hi! I'm new to raising chickens. I have a flock of three 6week old chicks. I think I read somewhere that the majority of the chicks diet needs to be chick starter feed. I just want to make sure I'm doing this right and they're getting what they need. In the morning I let them out of the "box" into the run where their chick start feed and water is. I wait for them to eat as much as they want then I open the run door and they get to roam the backyard. They love scratching for bugs and eating clover and resting under the sage bush. I put a little saucer of water out in my flower bed on the opposite side of my yard from the coop. Then when we eat dinner I put them back in the run and shut the door and they will eat the chick start and get a drink. Then after the we're done with dinner I put them in the "box" with the roosting bar for the night to keep them safe.

I don't put food or water in the sleeping box area because they make a mess. Is this OK?

They don't really go back to the coop to eat chick feed during the day. So its chick feed in the morning, then scavenging bugs and plants all day, then chick start in the evening. Is this healthy? I don't want to feed them chick feed outside of the coop because I want to be able to get them back in the coop and I want them to know where their feed is.

Sounds about right to me. Starter in the morning, free range in the afternoon, starter in the evening. Just leave the door open so they have constant access to the starter.

When mamas raise chicks, that's how it goes. My broody and her hatched chicks were out of the nest and foraging in the yard at day 3.

Hi! I thought the whole thing combined was the "coop" I called it a box because I can securely close it at night to keep them safe. The box/coop has nesting boxes and a roosting bar and a little ladder for them to climb up into from the run. It has a wire covered window for ventilation.

I leave the door open all day so they can go back to the coop and get chick starter anytime, but they usually just forage during the day.... but it sounds like they're diet is appropriate.

here is a picture of the coop. We're going to build a bigger run at the end of the summer, but for now its working with my 3 6week old bantam chicks.

Attachments

• 176860_PHO_PRO_BIRD_55961-1.jpg
    176860_PHO_PRO_BIRD_55961-1.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 3
Sounds about right to me. Starter in the morning, free range in the afternoon, starter in the evening. Just leave the door open so they have constant access to the starter.

When mamas raise chicks, that's how it goes. My broody and her hatched chicks were out of the nest and foraging in the yard at day 3.
Thank you, sounds like I'm on the right track.

You're doing it right! Sounds like healthy happy chicks.

Back
Top Bottom