Is my raw diet for my ducks okay?

Fangeddeer

Songster
Apr 23, 2023
I ran out of all the feed I had, n I don’t know when I can get more. So I’ve been making feed out of stuff at home. Before I use it, I research if it’s safe.
I only feed them vegan, ofc. And I change it everyday (yesterday was eggs, carrots and lettuce while today it was lettuce, carrots and tomatoes).
pics below.
How I make it​
I usually get the ingredients out, wash them, chop them up into small pieces(Ducks eat their food whole) put it into a pile, put it into their bowl n fill it halfway with water.

Attachments

• 9200F454-76C0-46BC-84E5-FE2B99B8C49C.jpeg
    9200F454-76C0-46BC-84E5-FE2B99B8C49C.jpeg
    641 KB · Views: 161
  • 26EA308E-D773-4F88-9EB8-8E04821290E8.jpeg
    26EA308E-D773-4F88-9EB8-8E04821290E8.jpeg
    709.8 KB · Views: 5
  • AC02CE59-0707-4D7B-BD92-D0DE8AFEB92B.jpeg
    AC02CE59-0707-4D7B-BD92-D0DE8AFEB92B.jpeg
    652.1 KB · Views: 5
They need duck feed as soon as you can, these are nice treats but not real food.
There's no such thing as a vegan animal, especially an omnivore like ducks.
Your ducks will quickly become ill on this as their diet and suffer nutritional deficiencies.
Thank you so much for telling me. And yes I know n completely agree with the no such thing as vegan animals, but I didn’t know ducks were omnivores (though that makes sense cuz they eat bugs)
this has only been going on for around 3 days. Is this too long?

Thank you so much for telling me. And yes I know n completely agree with the no such thing as vegan animals, but I didn’t know ducks were omnivores (though that makes sense cuz they eat bugs)
this has only been going on for around 3 days. Is this too long?
Your ducks will do just fine in the summer months free ranging it's mainly in the colder months you need to make sure adult ducks always have access to feed.

I don't know anything about ducks, @Miss Lydia might be able to help.
But my first thought was you would want to give them something with more protein, like cooked eggs.
I agree that you don't want them to be vegan, so maybe some mealworms or something?

I don't know anything about ducks, @Miss Lydia might be able to help.
But my first thought was you would want to give them something with more protein, like cooked eggs.
I agree that you don't want them to be vegan, so maybe some mealworms or something?
Yeah Lol, this is just until I can get my hands on duck feed. I could possibly have left over mealworms though

I ran out of all the feed I had, n I don’t know when I can get more. So I’ve been making feed out of stuff at home. Before I use it, I research if it’s safe.
I only feed them vegan, ofc. And I change it everyday (yesterday was eggs, carrots and lettuce while today it was lettuce, carrots and tomatoes).
pics below.
How I make it​
I usually get the ingredients out, wash them, chop them up into small pieces(Ducks eat their food whole) put it into a pile, put it into their bowl n fill it halfway with water.
Excellent!
Eggs for protein is really good.
You definitely love your ducks.
I'm guessing that they have access to soil for getting their own grit.

Your ducks will do just fine in the summer months free ranging it's mainly in the colder months you need to make sure adult ducks always have access to feed.
Not every area can sustain free ranging as a diet, mine can't
Unless you have feral flocks of fowl wandering around or live someplace where it rains a few times a week and a high bug count, it's likely that you can't do it long term, there's not enough nutrients in the area to support them.

Back
Top Bottom