Chicken door - what would you do?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kiwiegg, Mar 30, 2012.

1. kiwiegg

kiwiegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Minnesota
    Firstly, thank you for all of your help the last few days. I'm building and have no chook experience - I hope I can be a question answerer in the future.

I want to establish what system I will use for the chicks to get from the coop to the run. The coop is around 80' from the house and will be a 8x8 walk-in with 16 chookies. I have plenty of space and will be building a decent sized enclosed run. I looked at the automatic door opener kits - mine would need to be solar or battery powered. I cant figure out if I really need that system ($)

I'm thinking that each morning and evening I would need to either enter the run to open the door, enter the coop to open the door, or rig some sort of pulley to open and shut the chicken door from outside of the coop, or have an auto door.

I want to try to get as much as possible right at the start but know I will need to adjust stuff over time. Any one have an opinion? Thanks!

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I believe in keeping it simple. I just have a simple door I can open and close manually from the outside of the coop, secured by a latch.
    Jack

3. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    We just purchased our first automatic door. I have raised 4 flocks of chickens. we live in a area where predators are everywhere.

we purchased ours because......If we get home after dark and this happens a lot in summer.

Like going out for dinner, Holidays...etc. I know they are safe.

The chickens aren't the only ones going to the coop at dusk...it's me also to close the door.

I also have to go to the coop at sunrise to open the coop as well. I usually need more coffee before i see the girls. [​IMG]

If we go on vacation (10 days or so) It won't be as much of a burden for my chicken sitter.

Having to come over 2 times a day. just to open and close the door.

This way the sitter will only have to come over only once to feed/water.

There are ways to "build" your own cheaper. Check out BYC and you tube. Lot's of ideas out there.

I know I am going to love my new door. as long as it works correctly.....Lol

Lisa

4. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    I have a simple door that I open and close every morning and every evening via a pulley system. I would love an automatic door but can't afford it and really can't justify it.

I think WIFarmChick has some really good points to think about. My only worry would be that the door would malfunction and the chickens would be stuck in or out of the coop. Also, it your predator proof the run really well, you might not have to worry about getting to the door at the same time every night. Sometimes I close them up at 7:30 and sometimes at 9:00. I know nothing can get in the run and if that's shut I'm not too concerned. I forgot to lock them up the other night and was shocked to see them out when I delivered breakfast. Oops!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by