chicken draining punctured crop plzz help

@ejtrout31 you must understand the frustration it’s like asking them to help you blind folded. You’ve been given some very good advice and suggestions and treatment recommendations. Follow them...and In the mean time find someone with a phone to take pictures. Take photos and then let us know how he’s doing. Best wishes

thank you sorry to bother you
Not a bother.
We are the stewards of our animals.
That means our job and responsibility is providing their care.
They depend on us.

This is a collaborative community. It’s a great place to learn.
It’s great to ask questions too. I do it all the time. I LOVE to learn. I also LOVE to teach.

But ultimately your animals are in your care, and if you want someone to help you but you can’t be bothered to participate and provide information, then I don’t know how to help you.

Thank you for the measurements. That removes a little bit of guess work.

The cut is small and should heal quickly as long as you've cleaned it well. If you go out tomorrow, buy some Vetericyn and spray it on the cut. Do it three times a day. It has the ability to hurry the process of new tissue growth. The cut should close on its own.

Follow the guidelines above and do not give food or water to the roo tonight. You can give him water in the morning, but no food. The wound should be closed by tomorrow night and by Tuesday, you should be able to give him soft watery foods. Nothing rough since he won't have grit in the crop to help digest it.

I would feed him yogurt, plain, soft boiled egg, and maybe baby food veggies and fruit for a couple days while the cut is healing up solidly.

I am sorry to hear that your older neighbor’s rooster who you have volunteered to buy and treat, may be suffering from a wound that your dog may have inficted. It sounds like the crop has been punctured. He probably has been leaking food and water from his crop, and that is what you are seeing. Is there any way way that you could take him to a vet to get sutured? Some people use superglue to seal the crop when they have to do crop surgery, but this can be risky, since the crop has two layers. He also has fostbite on his feet that he may be healing from. But since we cannot see pictures we are only going by what you describe. I can sympathize since I am not good with posting pictures either. I would try to get some stitches into his crop if that is what is leaking.

Meat based baby food is a great food for a bird with a healing crop. Small feedings of both food and water, the goal being to not cause the crop to be filled to the point of flowing out through the opening. Many tiny feedings per day.
The crop can mend itself very well given the chance, which is why "no close" crop surgery works (also, the above is why in such a procedure the incision is made up high, horizontally and kept small.
The larger issue is the potential for infection caused by spillage of contents into the body.

I took his food and water he is sleeping on a towel I sprayed him with vetericyn. The chicken is a friends whose neighbors dog attached. I bought the chicken after it’s feet froze and she couldn’t help him properly. I have treated the feet and now discovered the crop problem. I hope he makes it. I would like to thank everyone so much for their help. I understand how difficult it is not seeing pictures I can try to get some in morning.

Back
Top Bottom