chicken dream come true

offmyroost

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 25, 2011
Hi everyone,
I am so glad this site exists. I have already had so many questions answered and I haven't begun to scratch the surface. I live in Flagstaff, AZ at an altitude of 7000 feet. I always thought people either had to live at a lower altitude to raise chickens or they had to go to extreme measures to protect them from the cold winters so they idea of raising them seemed far-fetched. Then I got this wild hair to research it. Turns out they can do just fine here. I am thrilled. I wrote the date on the calender that the local feed store would get the first batch of chicks. It seemed like a long wait:/. I was so excited. I ended up with 14 chicks--3 Americaunas, 2 barred rocks, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 leghorns, 1 silverlaced Wyandotte, 2 goldenlaced Wyandottes, and 2 Blue laced red Wyandottes. They currently reside in my quilting studio in a large oval cardboard brooder which has been reinforced with numerous rolls of silver duct tape. They range in age from 7-8 1/2 weeks old. The coop (fashioned from an old porch) might be ready to move them to tomorrow
lol.png
. I was told that chickens raise a lot of dust but I had no idea:(. I will be dusting the studio and washing fabric for a while. We ended up insulating the coop really well. I don't know how warm feathers keep chickens in winter but we wanted to be sure they were ok. Anyway, I could ramble on and on about this new chicken obsession but I have to go make sure they haven't pecked their way to freedom. thanks. -----Sue

welcome-byc.gif

I know you will enjoy this place!! Lots of nice people!!

I found out the hard way the heavy feathered chickens do much better in cold weather than the heat here in Tucson! In fact, I think cool weather is better over hot any day for anybody!

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to the forum. I agree that chickens seem to do better with cold than heat. They need a lot of ventilation during the warm months. Sounds like you are starting with a great diverse flock. Would love to see some pictures.

Back
Top Bottom