Chicken eating its own egg?

tonyfunhouse

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 30, 2012
Batavia Ohio
Went out tonight to close the door on the coop from there yard and i had one chicken sitting out there all by its self and finally she got up and she was standing on a egg and then she cracked it open and ate it so my daughter went in a chased her into the coop and we shut the door and came in. What does this sound like good bad normal? Plenty of food and water all the time?

It is bad. Once they figure out that eggs are yummy, they can teach it to the other chickens. Take an egg and blow out the inside and fill it with yellow mustard. They don't like the taste and it will stop the egg eating. Hopefully

Never tried the yellow mustard, but I can attest to them eating eggs. Just gotta collect them quick before they start jabing at them.

ok well i guess thats good news i thought i was going to have to put her down.lol. It was weird that it was out in the ward and it was dark out they have never layed there eggs out side. The kids always get the eggs as soon as they get off the bus i think sometimes they might have just layed them.We go out in the am ,mid day(bus) and every evening after dark.

Back
Top Bottom