Chicken eating its own egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tonyfunhouse, Oct 31, 2012.

1. tonyfunhouse

tonyfunhouse Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2012
    Batavia Ohio
    Went out tonight to close the door on the coop from there yard and i had one chicken sitting out there all by its self and finally she got up and she was standing on a egg and then she cracked it open and ate it so my daughter went in a chased her into the coop and we shut the door and came in. What does this sound like good bad normal? Plenty of food and water all the time?

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    It is bad. Once they figure out that eggs are yummy, they can teach it to the other chickens. Take an egg and blow out the inside and fill it with yellow mustard. They don't like the taste and it will stop the egg eating. Hopefully

3. BirdMan32

BirdMan32 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2011
    Arizona
    Never tried the yellow mustard, but I can attest to them eating eggs. Just gotta collect them quick before they start jabing at them.

4. tonyfunhouse

Oct 30, 2012
    Batavia Ohio
    ok well i guess thats good news i thought i was going to have to put her down.lol. It was weird that it was out in the ward and it was dark out they have never layed there eggs out side. The kids always get the eggs as soon as they get off the bus i think sometimes they might have just layed them.We go out in the am ,mid day(bus) and every evening after dark.

5. tonyfunhouse

Oct 30, 2012
    Batavia Ohio
    Tonight there was 2 eggs out in the chicken yard but they werent eaten. Why would they start laying in the chicken yard?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by