Chicken extremely skinny and subtle loss in neck feathers.

Serphs

Chirping
Sep 1, 2017
Hey, my 1 year old Wyandotte has been getting very skinny, and losing a decent amount of feathers around her neck. It snowed here, so they usually don't come out, even when the door is open. I don't think its molting, since my other chickens seem fine. She has been in the coop about a week, with the door closed. We had people take care of her while we were on vacation, and we told them to not let them out due to the snow. She was fine before we left, I don't have a picture before and after for observation, but I will post a photo of what she looks like now.

She does appear to be molting, can't see clearly in your picture, but it does look like she has a lot of pinfeathers coming in. If you can get a weight on her, and monitor that it may help to see if she's really losing weight or not, some birds are just more lean that others. A digital kitchen scale works well. You can get a general idea of her condition by feeling her keel, the chart below shows a general idea of what you are looking for. What do her droppings look like? Internal parasites can be a cause of weight loss also. If they've never been wormed it would be good to see if your vet will do a fecal test for you, and that would rule those in or out.
Poultry keel bone schematic for bcs.jpg

She is very skinny and looks like she was attacked. Couldn't check for lice since she escaped from me before I could hold her, I was only able to get her back with the lure of snacks. We do have 2 roosters who seem semi-aggressive while mating, but their favorite hens don't have any of these

Chickens don’t drop a significant amount of weight during molt. Some yes but not enough that you notice by just “looking” at them.
It’s a process of elimination to figure out what is going on.
Give her a good examination. Be careful of her pin quills. I know they don’t like to be touched during molt. Go slow. Check her from her mouth to her vent. Her back to her stomach right down to the skin.
Could be worms.
It’d be nice if you could crate her to observe food and water intake. Along with what her poop looks like.
The more basic information we have the more we can help.
Up her protein. Any cooked meat. Scrabbled eggs. Tuna or mealworms.
She’s not being bullied away from the feeders is she?

Yea, I think she looks skinny due to her being like %90 Feathers before, but she does feel a little skinnier. I don't think shes being bullied away from the feeders due to her being one of the top chickens. I will check her water and food intake and make sure she gets enough. The chickens do get some mealworms per day. I checked her vent and it doesn't look any different. I will definitely check her later when she calms down. Thank you for the advice!

Hey, my 1 year old Wyandotte has been getting very skinny, and losing a decent amount of feathers around her neck. .

Yea, I think she looks skinny due to her being like %90 Feathers before, but she does feel a little skinnier.
I agree with @coach723 weigh her now so you can monitor her weight.
A molting bird can look skinny since they have lost all their fluffy feathers.
I see pin feathers/new growth coming in.
Molting birds do not like to be handled, so be careful as you do so.

She may benefit from some extra protein - since she is housed with the others, then just give everyone a nice treat of egg, meat, tuna, etc.

upload_2018-12-1_13-5-1.png

Back
Top Bottom