Chicken face is still swelling even after treatment

mauie889

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2021
Hello! So I have a hen, I noticed about 2 weeks ago that her face was swelling. I guessed it was coryza, so I separated her from the flock and gave her the prescribed medication, along with the rest of the flock. I gave her the medicine for 7 days, as the packet said. It has been 12 days now since I started giving her medicine and her face did not stop swelling. It was smaller compared to before. She is still as lively like before, only the swelling face is the problem. Should I give her more medication? Thank you so much

PS. All three photos were taken at the same day

Attachments

• 8033C6E3-950A-45C4-B01C-EA5908D42873.jpeg
    8033C6E3-950A-45C4-B01C-EA5908D42873.jpeg
    398.8 KB · Views: 10
  • D41C56FC-D480-4222-8648-15917F72811E.jpeg
    D41C56FC-D480-4222-8648-15917F72811E.jpeg
    336.6 KB · Views: 7
  • CE1E16EF-62D0-4573-8161-97F30BB31504.jpeg
    CE1E16EF-62D0-4573-8161-97F30BB31504.jpeg
    330.1 KB · Views: 7
Facial swelling can be from any number of illnesses, many of them serious, it may be a good idea to get a vet to look at her and get to the bottom of what’s wrong.
Many times you can guess what something is based on the symptoms, but sometimes illnesses can be sneaky and present themselves differently in some individuals.
For example mycoplasmas are one of the illnesses that frequently can cause facial swelling, usually you’ll also see respiratory issues too and swollen legs/hocks, especcially if it’s M synoviae, but sometimes for whatever reason you’ll only get one symptom and no others, which makes things really tricky trying to figure it out on our own.
There’s always the chance she’s having some sort of allergy also?

Facial swelling can be from any number of illnesses, many of them serious, it may be a good idea to get a vet to look at her and get to the bottom of what’s wrong.
Many times you can guess what something is based on the symptoms, but sometimes illnesses can be sneaky and present themselves differently in some individuals.
For example mycoplasmas are one of the illnesses that frequently can cause facial swelling, usually you’ll also see respiratory issues too and swollen legs/hocks, especcially if it’s M synoviae, but sometimes for whatever reason you’ll only get one symptom and no others, which makes things really tricky trying to figure it out on our own.
There’s always the chance she’s having some sort of allergy also?
Thank you! I will book an appointment with her vet, as far I as know she has no allergies, ive been feeding her same type of feeds since she was a chick.

Any updates on your hen? I had a similar situation -- no smell or any other symptoms but when I took my hen to the vet they took a lab swab and were able to diagnose it as coryza. After 7 days of the prescribed me (Sulfatrim) the swelling had gone down somewhat but not totally. Returned to the vet and they said she was cured, thought maybe the infection had changed the structure of her bone or face and said not to worry about the swelling. I have since researched on here and believe maybe some of her snot from the coryza might have hardened behind her eye causing the bulge. I'm too chicken to flush her sinuses out like I saw some people doing (and the vet did not like that idea), and I even wondered about cutting it out as I've seen some people do on here (again, vet nixed the idea). In any case, I'm letting her just go and she is my crooked faced girl, but all seems well anyway even though she looks a bit weird with one bulging eye. Just wondered if you heard anything else from your vet.

Back
Top Bottom