Chicken feed help

ChickenDude12345

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
Northern NH
So my chickens have been on multi flock feed since 6 weeks and they are going to be 7 weeks tomorrow. The food is essentially a starter because it has 22 % protein. Once they are eight weeks I was planning to change into a grower feed but I don’t really want to waste that whole bag of multi flock because they won’t finish it by the time they’re eight weeks although there are 12 chickens. Would it be OK to finish that bag of multi flock out on them and then switch them to the right feed or no?

I feed a 22% flock maker all the time. Then I don't worry they aren't getting enough protein if I give them some weeds/greens for treats.

Ok, how will they know to use the grit?
Hundreds of millions of years of instinct. Just offer it on the side , and also a separate container of oyster shell but they don’t need that until about 18 weeks. Also instinct will tell them when to eat the oyster shell - which is why I prefer it to layer feed because it doesn’t force too much calcium on them. The grit they should have now, but chick grit until the instructions on the bag say to switch to adult poultry grit.

Back
Top Bottom