Chicken feet with rash(please help)

lyndatu

Songster
12 Years
Nov 13, 2007
Hello

After a heavy typhoon that lasted 2 days, I went down to the backyard to check on my free-range chickens. But then I saw my little New Hampshire hen Rexie and she does not seem to be well. She's quiet, weak and likes to be left alone. I checked on her and saw pink-red areas on her feet - my heart skipped a beat. How can I cure this disease? I'll try to post a picture soon - the camera (phone) is still charging. Rexie just turned into a hen(1st birthday) on November 10(three days ago) and she wasn't able to enjoy her mealworm party. Please help me - I feel guilty that I let my chickens live free-range without any shelter - what is also the cause?

Thanks in advance!
smile.png

Not sure about the rash. Hope someone else chimes in for you.
But please consider some type of shelter where they can get up off of the wet ground and out of the weather. It doesn't have to be expensive and could easily be done with recycled free items. They may still chose to play in the rain, but at least they have that choice. And you don't have the guilt. Good luck

Thank you for the reply!

I'm also not sure if it's rash, but pinkish-red areas all over the feet. I hope I get a treatment reply soon...... Will vaseline and some water work?

I knew it. I knew no shelter for the chickens is wrong. But I have found that our wood stacking area is perfect for being converted into a chicken shelter(well, it was my dad's chicken coop back in his childhood). I'll try to do my best.

Please help me with the feet sickness! I feel so sorry for the little hen. Her tail is down and she normally shakes us off when we try to cuddle her but she doesn't! Help would be appreciated!

Thanks again for the reply!(I'll post a picture soon of the chicken)

Sorry about the delay of pics! The camera is fully charged but it's nighttime already......I'll post a pic tomorrow asap!

Hello again.....

I went to the backyard today after work but I did not see Rexie there. I asked my mom if she's seen them, but unfortunately Rexie is dead. I told them not to eat the body, but they won't listen.....well, they dissected the poor corpse and near the vent area, they saw an extremely old egg, with its insides rotting. Then Rexie might have not died from a foot disease, but from an untreated egg-binding. I feel so bad about her departure. Rexie also got sick about 5 months ago, but she got okay eventually but maybe now the egg has already killed her from the inside. Poor Rexie.........she will be missed.

Rex.jpg

Thank you all very much for your help.
smile.png

Not that this helps with your departed Rexie, but in terms of what you may have been seeing on the feet- red spots may have been vasculitis- a sign of sepsis (blood bacterial infection). Blood can leak out of small vessels causing red spots under the skin- this just means she was very very very sick. Bacterial infection from the rotten egg getting into her blood. She probably had red spots elsewhere.

I would NOT eat this chicken, even stewing. Not all bacterial toxins are broken down by heat. Take her and bury her very deep or double bag her into the trash, but do not let your parents eat her if you can help it.
sad.png

Thank you for all your kind concern.
smile.png

Hmmm......a bacterial infection is also what I thought, because on her feet it looks very much like blood patches under her skin. Thank you for the info. And good news, my mom doesn't want to eat the chicken anymore(double-dead), and we buried it it the edge of the yard. But the bad news is: ever since our dog got out of his cage we lost many hens then, and now we've lost Rexie, we only have 2 hens for our rooster named Roster(yeah, funny name) to mate! They might become stressed. But I will make this in another topic.
big_smile.png

Thanks again to everyone!

Back
Top Bottom