Please help, what is this on her feet?

Rose the Legbar

Songster
Dec 18, 2022
Washington State
It doesn’t look like bumblefoot but the scales are raised and dark everywhere else on her feet are fine, just those. I am going to soak her feet in epson salt right now but she doesn’t seem to have any discomfort from her feet. Her breed is salmon faverolles and she walks differently than my other normal 4 toed chickens. @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @azygous

Edited to add: it has been very wet and muddy and a little warm spell these past few days.
IMG_3285.jpeg
IMG_3289.jpeg

Does she spend a lot of time on pea gravel or some other coarse gravel? If so, she may have a condition similar to calluses where the continual abrasion causes a hyper growth of tissue. My two roosters have this on their toes.

Have you soaked her feet in Epsom salts and Dawn detergent? Try that for a few days to soften the excess tissue and to be sure no infection is under that dirt.

If you go on Amazon, there's a product called Ellocy Urea 42% Cream with 2% salicylic acid. It will gradually make the rough tissue decrease and disappear. You would apply it each night at roosting time. Or you can choose to do nothing after you determine there's no infection after soaking. It's not a serious condition, and it can disappear on its own if the chicken stops abusing her feet on rough gravel or rough wood planks.

It doesn’t look like bumblefoot but the scales are raised and dark everywhere else on her feet are fine, just those. I am going to soak her feet in epson salt right now but she doesn’t seem to have any discomfort from her feet. Her breed is salmon faverolles and she walks differently than my other normal 4 toed chickens. @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @azygous

Edited to add: it has been very wet and muddy and a little warm spell these past few days.
View attachment 3779232View attachment 3779233
I'd follow the care instructions that Carol (@azygous ) gave you.

It looks like Contact Dermatitis to me, often this can be due to rough surfaces as mentioned or from the feet not drying out - like when it's wet/muddy conditions like you posted.

Back
Top Bottom