Chicken fell over dead.. should I be concerned?

Mar 7, 2021
One of my Easter eggers was perfectly healthy and fine this morning about tonight I noticed her unable to balance and she just fell over dead. Is this something I should be concerned about? I felt her and she seemed skinny and fragile

I have her in the freezer for tonight. I am going to skin for taxidermy and look her and look at look inside her tomorrow for possible issues

If you were planning a necropsy, the body should have been refrigerated, not frozen. Has it been in the freezer long? In fact, your state vet could have performed a professional necropsy to look for a cause of death and also do testing for common diseases. Sorry for your loss.

If you were planning a necropsy, the body should have been refrigerated, not frozen. Has it been in the freezer long? In fact, your state vet could have performed a professional necropsy to look for a cause of death and also do testing for common diseases. Sorry for your loss.
I wasn't planning a necropsy just yet but I'll definitely do that if I have another one randomly dies.. I was planning on just looking for basic signs and preserving a wing and some feathers for remembrance.

I realize this is a couple months old, but in answer to your question, I think the answer is yes, you probably should be concerned. At least, I would be if it were my hen. I would want to know if she died of something contagious that might be a danger to the rest of my flock. So I think a necropsy in the case of a sudden, unexplained death would be a good idea. Hope the rest of your flock remains well.

Back
Top Bottom