Chicken fence *pictures*

No they roost inside my tiny feed room for now, until their coop gets done. They all fly in the window and up to the rafters. It's quite a sight in the morning with all those eyes looking down at me. It makes me start my day with a laugh.
smile.png

What type and gender are those greenish black birds? They are beautiful! So you don't clip their wings? How do you keep them from getting lost or just not coming back? I am new here and don't have chickens yet, not till spring. I am trying to learn all I can.

They look fantastic, I can imagine looking out the window at them first thing lol.... I put a strip of wood in my coup yesterday to measure it for a roost, and I forgot and left it there, I cna se the coup from my kitchen and this morning I was surprised to see my girls , looking out at me from the window.... they have utilised and adopted the roost while it is leaning on their old roost and the top of the nest boxes (thank God it was safe).... lol.... I wonderd how they had got up that high, but it soon became clear.

Now they can see me coming, but I have fixed it now so it is safe for them.

The bluish ones are black sumatras and the grayish ones are blue sumatras. They are excellent fliers. I chose them because I'm surrounded by forests and assumed predators would be an issue. So, I have not clipped their wings. They free range and go into the feed room at night. These are only about six months old. Their tail feathers get very long and flowing. They also have pea combs, so frostbite is not an issue. They are very hardy birds. I have not lost a single one. (knock on wood).

wow you have allot of those sumatras what is your hen to rooster ratio you may have to cull some roosters so the hens don't get warn out when they start mating.

Henry

Yeah...14 eggs in the spring, 14 hatched, 14 alive and well today. I thought since I "helped my dad butcher chickens when I was 5" that I could handle taking care of business now. Wrong.

I will be taking them to an auction. The 8 cockerals that is. So far none of them have started the mating game, so the pullets are still safe. I may keep one of the blue cockerals. They are just gorgeous!
Cindy

Back
Top Bottom