Chicken First Aid Kit

I don't doubt that you care for them very much. I don't think having the capacity to dismember them makes you love them any less. It's just not the way my body/brain works. All I want to do is hold them and pet them and love them. I can't inflict bodily harm on them. It goes against my wiring. Putting them to sleep is the best I can do. I hope the ether thing isn't too awful. I'm such a bleeding heart I'm almost tempted to try to buy pure ether so they don't have to die with that horrible chemical smell all around them.
Well, you do have to find what you think you can do. If that seems to be what you researched and found to be most practical for you then that's what you should do.

I do hope you go many many years without having to let one go.

I only brought this all up because the subject can be very distressing when someone is dealing with an emergency. Often right in the middle of an ER thread an OP suddenly realizes they have no idea to what to do or how to do it.
Since you are making lists, researching and getting prepared for your babies, it's a good time to have a plan in place.

Well, you do have to find what you think you can do. If that seems to be what you researched and found to be most practical for you then that's what you should do.

I do hope you go many many years without having to let one go.

I only brought this all up because the subject can be very distressing when someone is dealing with an emergency. Often right in the middle of an ER thread an OP suddenly realizes they have no idea to what to do or how to do it.
Since you are making lists, researching and getting prepared for your babies, it's a good time to have a plan in place.
Yeah, if there's any other ways of going about it I'd be open to considering it, but if it's more bodily harm type stuff I can pretty much say it's not in me to carry it out. They don't flap all around after the ether, do they? Because that is pretty hard to watch. I've seen videos of the broomstick method, the throat slitting method, the cutting the head off method, etc, and after all of them they thrash around really violently. It's kind of traumatic. If it were more comfortable for the bird to die from decapitation/cervical dislocation I'd do it, but if ether is equally easy/painless for them to endure I'd much rather go that route for my own psychological well-being. I'd love it if the bird could just be still/peaceful after dying. Even when a vet euthanizes them they flap all around. They generally don't even want the owners to be there because it's painful to watch. I wonder what it is about chicken physiology that makes that happen? It certainly doesn't happen in mammals. Do pet birds like parakeets and stuff do that when they die? Chickens don't thrash when they die of old age/disease, do they?

I hope I make it many years without having to let one go as well. Thanks for that. I hope yours are all healthy/happy too. I wouldn't wish having to kill a pet/cared for animal on anyone.

I do appreciate you bringing it up in case I hadn't considered it. I'm really trying to get all my ducks in a row so that if something bad does happen I'm prepared and have a protocol to follow, not just floundering/panicking wishing I had done some research earlier.

I would think there would be flapping no matter what method you use. I'm sure @paneubert may be able to tell you more. I believe where the starter fluid method is more appealing to some is that you can walk off and wait long enough so you don't have to witness any of that.

It's just the residual nerves/muscles moving, flapping can be kept at a minimum if you wish by capturing the wings. It's just the way it is.

I would think there would be flapping no matter what method you use. I'm sure @paneubert may be able to tell you more. I believe where the starter fluid method is more appealing to some is that you can walk off and wait long enough so you don't have to witness any of that.

It's just the residual nerves/muscles moving, flapping can be kept at a minimum if you wish by capturing the wings. It's just the way it is.
Yes, I would like to hear from @paneubert about it since this is his method of choice.

It's dumb, because on an intellectual level I know that involuntary muscle spasms after death don't mean anything. I have a BS in biology for Pete's sake. I know the bird is dead, but seeing that just instinctually causes distress. Like if you see someone having a seizure your mind is racing with "what can I do to make this stop/make them ok?"

Yeah, so far I have always watched. Mostly to make sure they were not suffering. And since it was only quail sized birds or chicks (so far), the container I used was small and clear...so it was easy to see what was going on. In my experience they do take a few deep breaths before calming down. I have not had any real flapping, more just deep breathing and sometimes some kicking. I think the amount of ether needed is somewhat dependant on the size of the bucket or container. I have had one or two times when it seemed like the bird was still breathing with open eyes for longer than I would like, or wiggling around a bit, so I have popped the lid open and sprayed some more ether in (not on them). I usually spray the spray (what I use is pressurized can) for about 10 seconds, which does cause a little puddle of liquid to gather in the bottom of the container. I then put paper towels or a rag over it so that the bird isnt getting wet. If it is a good level of ether in the container, they usually close their eyes pretty fast after only a few breaths. I try to do the entire process pretty quick since the ether is potent and if you get a whiff, it will make YOU light headed. I do leave them alone in there for at least 5 to 10 minutes after I am confident they are on their way to being done.

It is potent stuff, especially in a closed space. My wife can tell when I do it in the garage since it smells of ether even if I am fast to spray and fast to seal the container.

I think if a bird is already sick or weak from some illness and you need to put it out of its misery, this method would work pretty well regardless of their size. I assume something like a 5 gallon bucket would work, possibly on its side if more space was needed for the chicken to not feel like it was being stuffed into a can. Or a storage tote. But wrapping them in a towel or something to keep them confined would also not be the worst idea if combined with this method. Maybe wrap them up and give them one last cuddle before the deed is done, etc...

I think if a bird is already sick or weak from some illness and you need to put it out of its misery, this method would work pretty well regardless of their size.
I think you're probably right. It's more of the perfectly healthy birds that are killed for meat/being troublemakers that thrash around so much I think. The hen in the broomstick method video I saw flapped for 40 seconds at least, but the video ended at that point so I'm not sure how long she would have carried on.

I assume something like a 5 gallon bucket would work, possibly on its side if more space was needed for the chicken to not feel like it was being stuffed into a can. Or a storage tote. But wrapping them in a towel or something to keep them confined would also not be the worst idea if combined with this method. Maybe wrap them up and give them one last cuddle before the deed is done, etc...

I wish there was such a thing as a big thick clear ziplock bag. I'd like to cradle them as it happens.

Back
Top Bottom