Chicken flock murdered, one left…

Ch1cken7

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2021
Well the worst case scenario played out this morning. Something got to the flock and kill 4/5 hens. No idea what did it but we now have one polish who made it unscathed but definitely shocked. She’s warm in the dark basement right now. It’s 20 deg F now with December coming in strong.

We can’t raise chicks in the winter time right? We’re considering getting a batch of chicks come spring but I’m curious how to handle this one polish. They’re social animals and I would feel terrible just leaving her alone for the next 8 months.

But my options are she goes to a new family with chickens or she’s alone for a while.

You can raise chicks anytime of the year. I've had broodies outside in mid winter. Another option would be to check around for someone selling grown pullets or even an older hen. It will depend on your hen whether being alone will be ok for a few months.

When I got my chicks this year, I got two of those pop up kitty, puppy zipper up playpens. They were very sturdy and I opened up the zipper and clamped them together for more room. They have bottoms on they so I put them in my den and they stayed in the house till they could go out. The top and bottom is zippered which was great cause my dog was in the house also. We played with them on and off during they day and they became lap sitting lovable girls. So It is possible. I'm wondering if your lone girl would be comforted by the baby chick sounds if she could be near new babies. Just a thought, but you can keep them in if you have the room to do so. When they went out, I cleaned the kennels, folded them up to be reused another time.

I had a Barred Rock live alone for 3 months. The extended time was her fault as she killed the first two eight week old pullets we tried. I was new to chickens and thought we were good after a week of separate but abutted runs. The next try was two 4 month old Cochins and she bonded with them immediately. When she was alone we just tried to spend more time with her in general and even let her inside for short periods of time which seemed to help. She seems none the worse for her period of solitude and is Queen Bee in our now group of 8.

Well the worst case scenario played out this morning. Something got to the flock and kill 4/5 hens. No idea what did it but we now have one polish who made it unscathed but definitely shocked. She’s warm in the dark basement right now. It’s 20 deg F now with December coming in strong.

We can’t raise chicks in the winter time right? We’re considering getting a batch of chicks come spring but I’m curious how to handle this one polish. They’re social animals and I would feel terrible just leaving her alone for the next 8 months.

But my options are she goes to a new family with chickens or she’s alone for a while.
Raccoon. They are murderers.

Or weasels, who kill for fun. I lost half my flock one night, and have been caring for one injured since early November. She is inside the house. Also had a lone rescue chick. Used a small mirror in her brooder and when she went out to be integrated. Maybe put a large mirror in her area?

She should be fine, if you spend some more time with her every day. Chickens can bond with other types or birds or humans to compensate. It is breed dependent of course, but Polish can be pretty friendly.

Back
Top Bottom