1 chicken plus new flock following attack

Ch1cken7

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2021
Curious about chicken behavior. My flock of 5 was attacked and killed by something on tuesday morning. We think it was a raccoon. They are somewhat free range but I have a secure run and coop. So they’ll now be locked in the run unless we can supervise.

Here’s the deal, we have 1 polish hen that survived uninhured. She’s about 2.5 yrs. She is very aloof but low on the pecking order. Since the attack she’s eating and drinking fine but VERY skittish and goes into the coop a lot to sit and do nothing.

She’s not lethargic but definitely processing this horro. In an effort to help we adopted to pullets the next day and put them in the coop at night. She promptly got up and moved to the other side of the coop lol.

All yesterday the pullets are terrified of her and she’s not keen on them. There’s a lot going on, but no violence. They just don’t know how to interact yet. I’m curious how long it might take for the polish to return to her normal self following such an event. We’ve never had a chicken murdered before let alone 4.

Ps the forum app on IOS for BYC is the worst I’ve ever seen lol

Attachments

• F597B27F-50B5-4853-9A88-780B907E6C4F.jpeg
    F597B27F-50B5-4853-9A88-780B907E6C4F.jpeg
    784.6 KB · Views: 17
I'm sorry for your losses. Your Polish and pullets will get used to each other eventually. It will require patience on your part. Giving them treats on occasion might help. Give it time.

Back
Top Bottom